MOVarazzi

Thursday, May 17, 2012

775. Eco Lessons for All

"Mommy," called out Short in that sing-song way that only five-year-olds can, "you put that paper towel roll in the trash.  It can go in recycling.  You need to get it out." 

I had to smile.  Not only had he inherited his Good Recycling Instincts from my side of the family (my sister is best friends with Al Gore's picture), but my darling son had obviously inherited his Bossy Ways from my gene pool, too.   

I did as instructed, thus saving the paper towel roll from decades in the landfill and giving it a new life as, well, maybe another paper towel roll.  

I leaned in and gave my son a hug.  "Thank you for being green, Short.  Good job!" 

"Mommy, we're so green, we're blue." 

I laughed.  I had no idea what it meant, but I know a catchy slogan when I hear one.    "Short, what does that even mean?" 

He rolled his eyes (not to worry, I have been a victim of a kindergartner's eye rolling before), and replied,  "If we say we're green, that doesn't really help anything, except maybe the clouds.  But if you are blue!  YES!  The ocean is blue and helping the evironmentals really helps all animals including birds or turtles or Ninja warriors.  Because The Earth is covered in 429% water. That means only about 1% is green.  Now do you understand?" 

I had to smile.  I was proud of his explaining skills and his environmentalist attitude, but I was even prouder of his math skills. 

Another gift from the MOV family DNA. 

MOV

18 comments:

  1. Wow... ok, not only adorable but hugely impressive. I'm 35 and still don't have those sort of skill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are just waiting for his teacher to advise us that he needs to skip ahead a grade. Or two.

      Delete
  2. I am all about helping the ninja warriors. Go Blue!!!

    Princess WeeWee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Who knew they were endangered???????

      Delete
  3. Yes, definitely glad that someone is finally looking out for the ninja warriors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have been listening to our conversation on the way to school today. It was all about "litter bugs" and if you are a litter bug it makes the Earth sad. (From the 4-year old)

    Also, if there is no ozone, then there is no air, and if there is no air, then we die, and if we die we just go to heaven and stay there. (From the 7-year old)

    I like being blue/green!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep my recycling perspective green so that my grandchildren will have something to offer when asked in some middle grade science class "What does your family do that is Earth friendly?" I remember the shame when my son had only the fact that we reused plastic butter dishes for leftovers. We had to move and change our names.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant!

    ~The G is Silent

    http://kimpugliano.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, I love stuff kids say! I was once told to eat orange Skittle because they "cheered you up". Go team blue :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can't argue with the Power of the Orange Skittle....

      Delete
  8. This is very impressive. Nothing like the logic of children, a fresh and open honesty ALL people could learn from. Blue is IN. ":)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Birds, turtles and ninjas. The environment is in fine, fine hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Thank you a million times for your comment on my blog, it absolutely made my day :)

      Delete
  10. Oh wow! What a great kid Short is! I love his logic. I think we should all strive to be blue.

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)