MOVarazzi

Saturday, April 14, 2012

742. Nothing Starts With "N"

Nothing had caused me grief before.  Back when I was dating Brad in college, he would often be bothered by my moodiness and ask, “Lovebug, what’s wrong?”  to which I’d respond (unsurprisingly), “Nothing.”
 
Nothing’s favorite first cousin is Nobody.  Nobody makes an appearance when things turn sour.  “Short,” I query my younger son, “who colored on the couch with marker?!”  He looks at his feet and mumbles, “Nobody.”

You’ve probably talked to Nevermind before.  I’ve haven’t met her in person, but she calls a lot.  She likes to dial wrong numbers and ask for people like “Raji” or “Sven” and then when you say, “Who?  I think you have the wrong number,” she laughs and says, “Nevermind.”
Nowhere is popular, too.  When I want to get away for the weekend and fly to say, Miami, I mention this to The Husband, thinking he’ll be supportive.  Instead, he responds, “MOV, we can't afford it, and honestly there’s Nowhere I’d rather be than right here.”  I, myself, am kind of sick of Nowhere. 

Our household has gone bilingual.  We embrace Nada into our lives.  My older son types away furiously at the computer, looking up new Lego sets and man-eating sharks.  When I ask, “Tall, whatcha up to?” he clicks the mouse and replies, “Oh, Nada.” 
As you can imagine, things are getting pretty crowded around here with Nothing, Nobody, Nevermind, Nowhere, and Nada.  Seems like a party.  I call out, “Hey, if you all want to stay, did someone at least bring some Nachos?”

You know the answer:  Nope.
MOV

20 comments:

  1. Ha ha! What an utterly charming post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are now indeed the queen of (mostly) indefinite pronouns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this one! At my house we also had:

    "Your sister said you hit her."
    "Nah uh."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say something, but...nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit, I use "nothing" more than anyone in the world. Especially when people ask "what's new" or "what have you been up to." I usually at least make it a little more exciting by saying "Oh, nothing."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious! Thanks for great posts! Have a lot of fun this April, I can't wait to see what the rest of the alphabet brings!

    Dusty

    ReplyDelete
  7. As to bringing nachos,nah...not so much...but I will bring Nabisco NUTTERBUTTER cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is adorable. You're adorable. There's nothing else that I'd rather be reading right now than your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this one! Especially 'nowhere' - I'm on your side with that one! Our favourite is "Not me!" called out in chorus by my little angels (all spanish, learning english) to correct whoever has just said "me no" by mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopped over from Trifecta. What a great post, and I'm intrigued by the A-Z Challenge! Following!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, this whole A-Z is a piece of piss for you! It's in the bag MOV.

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha and you could add to the languages by saying Non! to your kid when he asks for more food or something. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha interesting post, great use of N words :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you so much for all your great comments! I really appreciate it. I love my readers!!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  15. Be thankful there's no raven at your house saying "Nevermore!" That could get creepy. :-)

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)