MOVarazzi

Sunday, March 11, 2012

705. Map of My Heart 3--etsy Digital Photo Illustration

Today I thought I would do something different.  I am showing you a piece of art that is a digital illustration by an etsy artist.  She did this for me a few years ago: 


I will give you her link at the end of this post.  (Frame not included, but you knew that.)

This is what she does:  you send her your digital file of your photograph (or you can mail her the photo via regular mail and she will scan it and send it back to you) and then she makes it into a digital illustration!  She prints it on oversized and very good quality paper.  She charges around 50 bucks.  A bargain for specialized personal art!  I just love the look of this.

Here is the original photo she scanned from: 


I love this picture so much.  I had the idea of posing my kids this way after seeing a picture of my cousin Kristi that my aunt had set up when Kristi was a baby.  My aunt had posed Kristi with all her stuffed animals and dolls, and it looked like Kristi was a doll, too.  Kids are only this little for such a short time, I thought it would be fun to photograph my sons like this.  They loved their stuffed animals, and we still have most of them.         

And now I will show you some close-ups: 


The artist meticulously colors in each part of the art.  If there is some part that is very "busy" or complicated (like Tall's checked shirt) or other busy patterns, she typically will reduce that to one color.  Also, she does one "proof" for you so you can make sure you are happy with it.  I had her do two version of this, one with Tall in a navy shirt, and one in a red shirt.  We opted for the red.

She did another one for me (not pictured here).  It was of my dad swimming with dolphins on a trip he took to South America.  In the first version of the picture she did, she made my dad look way too young (she had not really put in any of his wrinkles, he's in his 70's).  I emailed her that he looked like a Botoxed version of himself!  She immediately made the changes, adding strategic laugh lines and crows' feet as needed.  She is very accommodating, and a pleasure to work with.

Here is a close-up of just the stuffed animals:  


This is, in my opinion, a fun and different way to do personal art.  The size of the art (just the paper with no frame) is about 12 inches by 12 inches.  Hope you like it! 

The artist is named Sadie, and her site is called "Emmie Bean" (after her cat).  Sadie will also do multiples, so if you order a photo of your kids (for yourself) and then want re-prints for extended family, she can do that and give you a break in the price (I think it is $10 for the duplicates).   

Here is her LINK on etsy if you want to check out all the possibilities.  These digital photo illustrations make great Christmas and birthday presents, and are wonderful to commemorate a special occasion like a wedding or beach vacation.  Enjoy!

(*Disclaimer:  She has no idea that I am blogging about this, and this is NOT any type of ad)

MOV

12 comments:

  1. SOOO COOL!!! I will check her out! I love that kind of stuff. I have always wanted to do the Andy Warhol thing. Where they turn your picture into an Andy Warhol looking piece. But this is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. thank you, julie! I knew you would like it since you are very artsy. :)

      Delete
  3. The older kid looks a wee bit tired from his calculus homework, naps for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is super cool. I wish I could do that with photos...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know-- how did she teach herself to do that?!?

      Delete
  5. A pose in stuffed animals reminds me of the scene in E.T. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that! (but then maybe my 2 guys do seem like they are from another planet some days ...)

      Delete
  6. That is a great piece of art. I will have to check out that link. I am an avid photo-taker and am always looking for new ways to display them or use them as art, etc.

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)