MOVarazzi

Thursday, September 1, 2011

499. Two Weeks Notice

So last night I told The Boss that I got another job. Predictably, she was not happy. “That’s so great! I am really, really happy for you!” she said quite cheerfully, without a trace of sarcasm in her voice. “When do you start?”

I told her that I start next week, but I do not want to leave the high-end kitchen store going into the busiest time of the year:  holiday.

“Boss, my new job is during the day shift, so it doesn’t impact me still working here for the time being. I plan to keep working my normal one night per week plus Sundays through Christmas. So I am giving you four months notice.”

“Oh, wow. You don’t have to do that. Two weeks is standard!”

“I know, but I don’t want to leave you high and dry …”

She smiled that kind of smile when you offer someone the last cookie, not to be polite but because the cookies are gingersnap and you are allergic.  

“MOV, honestly, it’s really hard to work two jobs. I totally get it if you need to quit now. You can go tonight if you need to!”

I truly had not expected this type of positive support, encouragement, and understanding from my current boss about leaving and going to work somewhere else. I was touched.

“Boss, thank you! But I am the type of person to honor my commitments. I will stay through December 24th.” I grinned back at her.

“You don’t have to!” She clutched a stack of blue and white oven mitts and aprons she had been arranging in a basket.

“I insist!” I insisted.

“Really!”

“Really!”

Her smile turned to a frown. “We don’t want anyone working here who doesn’t want to be here!”

“I want to be here!”

“Uh, okay …” she said, pausing to choose her next words very, very carefully. “Uh, great.”

I never meant to upset her by giving my four months notice. Maybe I should have made it six months instead?

MOV

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the job!
    I lucked out in having understanding bosses at my (now last) job. They knew I wanted to be there, but life is taking me elsewhere. I just couldn't make the commute once I settled in two states away. The owner kind of joked about me flying in every day. I don't think his wife was joking though.
    I gave them a one month notice since the busiest time of year is October. I couldn't in good conscience only give them two weeks. They were really happy with the advance notice.
    Today is actually the beginning of my moving weekend! While going through things and packing I sometimes found myself wondering if that Payless manager moved here, and if he likes it.
    ...I should stop procrastinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri,

    Thank you! (But why is it that we feel compelled to KEEP working there and save the world and we feel guilty for "moving on"?) I have loved working at the high-end kitchen store and I feel such a wonderful camraderie with everyone that works there, I will definitely miss it. But I do get to enjoy it for 4 more months!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the job! Personally, I think it's very considerate of you to give advance notice like that. Hope your boss thinks so too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, Taylor! I will try to work my new job into a future post, but I don't want to blog about it just yet (okay, I am a spy for the CIA. There, are you happy now?).

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations MOV - hoping you get a really big commission check after Christmas! (If that's how they roll at the HEKS!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. MOV... CIA... Too many initals...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Patty, thank you! No, sadly, no commission checks at the high-end kitchen store, just a nice discount (which I KNOW I will miss come january!).

    Anonymous, ok, I did not really get a job with the CIA (they mentioned something about my blog, and that was that).

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)