MOVarazzi

Saturday, March 30, 2013

924. How I Got Roped into A to Z

So Haley Wolfe, my favorite illustrator-blogger of the universe, recently illustrated our newly released children’s book, Herman the Cat Goes to Outerspace (Number 1 new children's book on Amazon*).  I was brainstorming ways that she and I could get tons more exposure and positive publicity for our book, short of nudity, bribing public officials, or sleeping with a major Hollywood star.  That pretty much just leaves the A to Z Blogging Challenge. 

this is what Haley looks like, well, if she were a cartoon version of herself (drawing by Haley)


I immediately emailed Haley: 
“Hey, Haley!  You should totally do the A to Z Challenge because then you will get tons more exposure and positive publicity for our book.” 

Even though it was only an email and not an actual phone conversation, I could tell she was thinking long and hard about what I had written.  Finally, she emailed me back a response.  I will paraphrase it for you:     
“Thanks, MOV!  Great advice.  Since you are doing the A to Z Challenge, I will do it, too.  I mean, how hard can it be, to write something witty and entertaining every single day?  And in my case, even add a clever illustration?  Can’t be that difficult, right?!  Thanks so much for the motivation!” 

Whoa.  Whoa, there, cowgirl.  How could she have so completely and grossly misinterpreted an innocent one line email from me?  I never mentioned anything about me participating!  Did I?  I went back to my “Sent” email to re-read what I had written.  Was I participating?  Nope.  Never mentioned it.  And what was with the “How hard can it be?” thing?  Damn hard, that’s what.  There was no way I was going to do A to Z!  I had done it last year, and once was clearly enough. 
Then something happened.  My evil fingers commandeered the keyboard of my computer and typed the following: 

“Right, Haley!  Awesome!  Of course I will be participating!  Yep, you bet!” 
Now I was stuck.  I hate to be one of those people who says they will do something and then they flake out and don’t do it after all, and then everyone’s expectations are dashed.  So you know what? 

I’m doing it.  See you Monday.  Get ready. 
MOV
*Totally made that up about our ranking on Amazon ... but we could be Number 1 if you all buy our book!  Only $10.99. 


blatant commercialization attempt

27 comments:

  1. I know you were paraphrasing, but I distinctly remember saying a few other things in my e-mail to you, such as, "I don't see why we can't just add EXTRA letters to the alphabet for a nice even 30," and "I hereby pledge to type every post with my toes." I mean, don't sell me short, MOV. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is quite hilarious. Gotta love and hate those sort of mistakes and confusions. But we're glad to have you participating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no reasonable way you couldn't participate. Even if Mopeds Obliterated Venezuela, which for the purposes of this comment is where I assume you secretly live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do live in Venezuela, but just 3 weeks of the year. HOW DID YOU FIND ME??????? Now I will have to move again (you know I am part of the Witness Protection Program, right?).

      Delete
    2. I actually had you confused with your doppelganger, Mary Olivia Vasquez. Who is ALSO in the Witness Protection Program. So you've just made me spoil HER cover story. Thanks a lot, MOV.

      Delete
    3. People usually confuse me with Gwyneth Paltrow or Taylor Swift.

      Drunk people.

      Delete
  4. LOL! Well you certainly backed yourself into a corner there! Good luck on the A-Z, it should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! thanks, Kellie. Will you be participating? Misery loves company (oops, did I just type that out loud?).

      Delete
  5. Hey, it's nice to meet you! I'd like to know more about writing children's book because my mom and I came up with an idea for a children's book. Is there a way I can contact you directly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, Marjorie. :) I am happy to tell you about my children's book writing experience (which was totally positive by the way). Come back here to this spot and leave me your email and I will email you directly and point you in the right direction for publishing advice (take it or leave it) if you want to make your book a reality. Good luck, and thanks for reaching out to me, I am flattered.

      best,
      MOV

      Delete
  6. Wait, this should still be less crazy than last year. If memory serves me correctly (which there is a very good chance it does not) didn't you do the challenge on 2 blogs last year? Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my lord, Andrea, you are right. What was I thinking? Did I even do any laundry that month or have a real conversation? I think I was a bit overcaffeinated. This might have been the time that I approached Marianne to do a book and Haley to do another book. Yep, extra coffee can do that to a girl.

      Delete
  7. You didn't tell me you wrote a children's book! How much more could possibly be in that head of yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ummmmmmmm, not much left now. cobwebs?

      Delete
  8. Good job on that one! Isn't it always the way we get roped into doing stuff? I look forward to seeing what you put out for A to Z even if, as you commented elsewhere, you just post a word or two.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, see.... this is exactly the insanity I was talking about. One minute, you're thinking "Yeah right, never going to happen." The next, you find that you have not only committed yourself, but have done so enthusiastically.

    Well, at least I'm not alone in that rabbit hole. Great to find you and good luck this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! talk to me in 30 days and we'll see if I survive it.

      Delete
  10. Yes, I know that feeling of totally overcomitting yourself-again!
    Good luck with the challenge.
    Ebby

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great illustrations.
    I joined here long back
    but sad to note that there is now response
    may be too busY!!!!
    i am here again via a to z
    Phil @ Philipscom
    An ambassador to A to Z Challenge @ Tina's Life is Good
    And My Bio-blog


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by! hope you like what you read.

      Delete
  12. I am so glad you decided to participate because that's why I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Betty! hope you like it. :)

      Delete
  13. She well blagged you, lol. Happy A to Z.

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)