MOVarazzi

Monday, February 11, 2013

904. MOV Writes a Book

I am one of those people who does not like to jinx things by talking about them before they happen.  My dad did not know I got a job with the airlines until I had accepted the offer and moved to another city (“Well, Daddy, I knew you would want to dissect every question they asked me in the interview”), my sister did not know I was getting married until I asked her to be my maid of honor (“Are you free next week, Oakley?  And I bought you this dress, here-- try it on”), and my mom didn’t know I was having my first baby until I was seven months pregnant and could no longer hide behind oversized denim shirts (“I didn’t say anything because what if I had a miscarriage?”). 

So it should come as no surprise that I didn’t tell you that I wrote a book.  Another one. 
You remember my first book last year, right?  Mom’s Had A Rough Day:  A Collection of Humorous Essays.  Well, that was such a great experience (5 star-rating on Amazon!), I decided to do it all over again. 

But I learned a lot that first go-around.  Mostly I learned that writing a book is hard.  And takes a long time.  And requires a lot of editing. 
I lay in bed awake at 3 AM trying to think of a way to make it easier.  I knew I could not skimp on the actual writing part, and probably not the editing part either.  How was I going to pull this off?  Who could I get to help me? 

“No, MOV, I will not help you with your next book, and my God, what time is it?  3:30 in the morning?  I was sound asleep.”  The Husband was not exactly volunteering his writing services. 
Finally, I had a brilliant idea of how to cut my workload by 50%—write only half the book.  I would approach another blogger to write the other half. 

Thinking big, I contacted my writing idol, Marianne Walsh, at my favorite blog,  We Band of Mothers.  “Marianne, would you like to write a book with me?” said my email. 
I got a one-word response a few minutes later:  “OK.” 

At first, I thought she meant she had moved to Oklahoma, but then I realized that she meant OK as in “okay.”  (Note to self:  I might have to do more editing than I thought.)    
Our book was set for a Christmas release, but as you know, my mom died in late October.  Death has a way of ruining everything, things like surprising your mom with your as-yet undiscussed second book as her Christmas present.  I was out of my orbit for a while, and some days, I am still reaching for the phone to call Mom to say hi when I realize I can’t.  Yeah, death is not great with traditional communications like phone and internet.        

Anyway, to get back to my story, I wrote a book with Marianne.  It is called Epic Mom:  Failing Every Day a Little Bit More Than You.  It is exactly like our blogs, only funnier, better organized, and 3-dimensional.
Ever felt like that?
Seriously, you should buy it.  If you are not familiar with Marianne’s writing, you will love it.  She is hilarious.  Our book is over 250 pages, and is full of little stories and anecdotes that do not have to be read in order, you can just read a story here or there depending on time. 
I must tell you about our awesome cover design.  Marianne emailed me and said, “Do you think Stephanie at Clay Baboons would want to do our cover?”  Now, I knew this was a stretch because Stephanie is like the Rembrandt of the clay world.  There is no way she would have time to deal with us and our silly ideas, and if she did, she would most certainly charge us thousands of dollars. 

“I’ll do it for free!” she said in her email.  We did end up paying her (somewhere in the middle of free and thousands), but we were honestly so thrilled that she agreed at all that we most likely would’ve gone in to debt just to make it happen. 

So there you have it. 
Surprise! 

MOV
P.S. If you do buy a book, please take a few minutes to post a positive review on Amazon after you have read it.  (If you don’t like the book, then let’s pretend it was someone else’s book—like Shakespeare's.)
 

32 comments:

  1. Holy Moly! How do you manage to keep something like that zipped up and under lock and key? I'd be blabbing all over the place about it!

    Congratulations! I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Heather! I hope you like it. And if you do, please write a happy review on Amazon.

      Delete
  2. It is a GREAT book! I need to get my booty on Amazon and buy a couple as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kirby! I am honored that you like it!

      Delete
  3. Congrats!! I had no idea - can't wait to buy one today!!

    Um, this is Sharon by the way, er, NO...AMANDA, actually. This is definitely not Marianne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH!! And don't forget to "Like" the book on FACEBOOK:

    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/epicmombook

    We'll have updates, participating bookstores, signings, etc. all listed there!

    Signed, Just a Superfan (definitely, definitely not Marianne)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you. Love Marianne. Love Stephanie. How could the book fail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jewels! Now I just need 10,000 more friends like you........

      Delete
  6. I love you all - it's like a 3D trifecta of awesome. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what a 3D trifecta of awesome is, but seeing as how I have always been a 34-A, I think 3D sounds awfully appealing........

      Delete
  7. I'm ahead of the game, knew you had written it, read it, reviewed it, loved it!!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ARE way ahead of the game!!!! Do you know people?

      Delete
  8. So glad you are out of the sophomore book closet! Congrats and well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this book. I need to go review it on Amazon...what have I been waiting for?!

    Sorry to hear about your mom. Lots of hugs heading your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice review you wrote on AMazon. Thanks.

      And I appreciate your kind words regarding my mother.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks, Couse! and thanks for being a loyal reader every step of the way.

      Delete
  11. I was very excited when I heard about this and I can't wait to read it! (I'm still halfway through MHaRD, though not due to a lack of interest)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! That's exciting news. I'll try and spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's super amazing! Congratulations MOV. I have a challenge for you!

    BLOG CHALLENGE from Fantasy Writer Guy!

    Too many young people are packing up their instruments because they perceive that musical pursuits are in conflict with more legitimate career pursuits, or otherwise losing sight of their musical dreams. Too many beautiful songs will not get written! Please help me try to change that:

    Please blog about the most meaningful musical experience you’ve had in your life; an event, song, album, band or concert perhaps. Maybe it was music of your own creation. Anything in the realm of music which changed you or inspired you or was very special in some way: Your own proof that music is a positive and vital part of the human experience.

    Please include the following links in your post so that your readers may also have the opportunity to participate!

    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HGMSZ7X
    or email: newday.rising@live.com

    Thank you for considering this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmmmmmmm........ music. I would like to do this, I need to get motivated. Let me think about it. I guess I should look up the deadline.

      Delete
  14. I obviously don't check in here often enough to keep abreast of the gossip and news! Congratulations, well done you! Well, you three. Well done, you three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! and yes, I could not have done it without Marianne and Stephanie. :) They are the best.

      Delete
  15. I'm totally new here, directed over by Kirby at Kirb Appeal, and just from what she wrote and this post, I really, really have to purchase your book! I have 5 kids, 3 of which have their own kids, so I think I need to buy more than one. Your writing style is hilarious, and going by that, I know your book will be a hit with my family. Thank you, Christmas shopping is starting!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie! Welcome to my blog, and I hope you love the book! :)

      best,
      MOV

      Delete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)