MOVarazzi

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

864. Tsunami of Sleep

All growing up, I was a night owl.  I adored staying up until 1 AM, and then sleeping in late the next day.  I could feel the creative part of my brain click into high gear right around midnight, and that was always when I wrote my best term papers. 

As a flight attendant, my schedule was around the world and around the clock.  I could work a red-eye to London or have an o’-dark-thirty flight to Boston.  I rarely knew in advance, and the mystery and suspense kept my work life exciting.  I rationalized that I could always take a quick cat nap to refresh myself when I got to my destination.  Sleep was never the priority.     
So it should come as somewhat of a surprise that I now go to bed every night at 8:30. 

I have no choice in the matter.  After the boys get home from school and we do homework and eat dinner and take baths and get ready for bed, a wild tsunami of sleep punches me in the face.  I am overwhelmed with a need to lie down right now.  I glance at the clock:  8:30.    
I don’t know how this happened.    

The Husband asks me if I want to watch the Presidential Debate with him tonight—of course I do!  But (realistically) he’d better TiVo it so I can watch it tomorrow afternoon instead.  A neighbor invites us to a Halloween party, which sounds very appealing … until I find out it is from 7 – 10 PM.  It might be considered rude to take a nap under their dining room table in the middle of the party. 
I see a vision of my former self—you know, the awake one?—and she is but a shadowy black figure in the distance.  She wants to put on a red flamenco dress and dance all night … but only if “all night” conveniently ends at 8 PM. 

That might still give her time to brush her teeth. 
MOV
 
******
trifecta writing challenge:  333-word essay, the challenge word is "black"-- the 3rd definition, which is "dressed in black"
 
   

22 comments:

  1. Oh how things change! I'm blamingthe kids not age! How cool that you were a flight attendant!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleep is terribly over-rated and totally limits my manic writing potential. I'm sending you some Red Bull today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I know the feeling. With two little ones, I'm lucky to make it till 9. We can't even watch a feature-length movie all in one sitting anymore. If there's one thing I'm looking forward to in the teen years, it's the tendency for teens to sleep in. Maybe then I'll get enough sleep myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...... the last movie we saw took us about 3 nights to get thru. argh!

      Delete
  4. Hahaha! I so relate to this. I go out with my hubby or girl friends and turn into a pumpkin at 9 o'clock. Oh the joys of motherhood... HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad I am not alone. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

      Delete
  5. I would't look at taking a nap under their dining room table in the middle of the party as rude. Look at it as everyone will think you're just passed out drunk. This in turn will make people think you are quite the partier and thus will think you're really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. christian-- I love it! I am on it! thanks for the good advice. :) Get to go to the party after all PLUS increase my good reputation-- win/win!

      Delete
  6. Well I don't have the excuse of kids and I'm in bed by 9. I understand. I like how you start with your young term paper self and move into motherhood. And I love the image of that red flamenco dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someday I'd like to open a restaurant where you go to sleep right in your seat after your meal - but otherwise I'm afraid they just don't let you sleep under the tables. This was a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am the night owl right now. I dread the day when that changes! :I

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's quite a come-down, isn't it? The older I get, the more convinced I become that there's nothing interesting to do at 2 am anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah. Kids will suck the energy right out of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been slowing inching my way to the 8:30 mark. By 9:00 I'm pretty much gone. Being old, leathery an exhausted is such a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kids are the great time and energy suck. I'm still the moron going to bed too late, though. Good for you for knowing when to call it quits.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even with my three kids going to bed at 8, I am still up till one or two, and constantly pay the price for it. But I crave time to breath even more than rest ... I'm jealous that you seem to have no choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have plenty of friends who have taken "naps" under my dining table midway through a party. You could just pretend you were super hammered instead of just an exhausted mommy that has to go to bed when her kids do to survive...not that I have ever done this :)
    -Heidi
    http://mommypluscoffee.blogspot.com/2012/10/privacy-please.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a night owl at heart but I have to be up early for work. Makes me kinda' bitter sometimes. I feel you on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know exactly what you mean about being the most creative late at night. I usually go to bed somewhere between 6am and 8am these days, but the creativity usually kicks in around 2am for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I predict that you'll revert to your former night-owl self in a few years when the kids are older. That's what happened to me.

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)