MOVarazzi

Sunday, October 14, 2012

863. Déjà New

So you are at the bookstore and you see a book by one of your favorite authors.  Aha, you think, this author rocks!  You impulsively grab the book off the shelf and start flipping through it.  How is it that you have never seen this book?  Is it new?  You decide to look at the copyright:

2003.
 
The smart part of your brain says that you have most likely read this book.  The part of your brain that really really wants to buy a new book ignores the smart part. 

It is possible that you might not have read it already as you had a lot going on in 2003, for example your oldest son was just an infant.    
Nah, you’ve never read it! 

You ignore the fact that it is in paperback, which again emphasizes how long the book has been out.  You stand in line with your new old book, and you think it might be good to read a page or two just to verify that none of it sounds familiar. 
Your older son is pulling on you and tells you it is your turn.  You pay for his book and your book, and you are very excited to go home and start reading. 

You get about halfway through the book and the very smart part of your brain that you completely ignored today in the bookstore (and most times and places, to be honest) starts predicting plot developments. 
Smart brain is right. 

Smart brain not only predicts very specific plot developments, but now predicts the names of new characters yet to be introduced. 
Bingo. 

You have read the book before.  It is still a good book the second time around, but it is no longer deniable that you have already read it back in 2003.  You hate to read books twice, especially when there are so many new books in the world that you have not read yet.      
You are now mad at yourself for wasting $12 and three hours on a book that the smart part of your brain warned you not to buy.  You briefly wonder if it is ethical to return the book, seeing as how you bought it (and read it in its entirety) by mistake.  You decide it is not ethical (there is a place to return books, and it is called the library), but you put it back in its plastic bookstore bag and find the receipt and go back to the bookstore anyway. 

Once in the bookstore, the ethical part of your brain (directly adjacent to the smart part) reminds you that it is not actually ethical to return the book, so the guilty part of your brain (below the ethical part) decides to keep the book after all. 
You walk over to the magazine display while you are here, you might as well, to look at a few design and décor magazines.  You have subscriptions to some of them, but not all.  You notice a lovely magazine called House Beautiful with a blue couch on the cover.  You would like to read the article about the blue couch.  You pick up the magazine and take it to the counter to pay. 

You hand over your $5 while the smart part of your brain is screaming:  THAT MAGAZINE LOOKS FAMILIAR! 
MOV

8 comments:

  1. Luckily, I KNOW that I am watching for a new book to come out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah. Been there. Done that. If I don't want to keep books, I donate them to the public library -- as long as they are in excellent condition, and my books always are. I do not hold my sandwich over a book and do not use the pages as a tissue for my runny nose.

    Love,
    Janie Junebug

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you get to my age the good thing is all magazines and books are new because you no longer have a smart part of your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a similar thing last year with a CD from one of my favorite bands. I was at the record store and thought "Hey I don't know this album. Cool!" Got home and after listening to a couple of songs remembered that I had bought it years earlier but hated it so much I only ever listened to it once. And now I have two copies of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah. With me, sadly, it's more likely that I haven't read the book, even if it did come out years and years ago by one of my favourite authors. :Jeez, I still haven't bought The Casual Vacancy! Gotta do that soon.) I also tend to re-read my favourites anyway.

    But from what I hear, pregnancy brain is responsible for a lot of even weirder things! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally done this before. It is always with Danielle Steele books because she has soooooooo many flipping books. Did it once with a magazine......a magazine that I actually have a subscription to. Yikes! I don't know if ethical me would have taken over non-ethical me. Those two argue sometimes. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)