MOVarazzi

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

845. MOV vs. Technology

Back in March, a good friend of mine got me a part-time job.  As a corporate event planner for a non-profit, something I had zero experience in.  I like to think that my primary skill (lying during interviews) got me the job. 

No matter.  After six months, I have proven myself. 
One of the things that I am responsible for is posting our events.  I also am tasked with writing our twice/ monthly newsletter, updating our website, and responding to email questions within 24-hours. 

This last one is where I get stuck.  Sure, I email people back.  But lately I have been calling them instead. 
I noticed that almost everyone has their phone number in their signature line.  So I pick up the phone and call. 

I say, “Hello, this is MOV and I am responding to your email from five minutes ago to CEP (Corporate Event Planning).  You said you were having difficulty logging on to our website.  I reset your password, would you like to try it now?” 
They are always shocked.  And happy.  They say, “You know, I am shocked that you called me.  And happy.  Thank you!”  They cannot believe that in a world of email, someone knows how to punch in a phone number.  Instead of going ‘round and ‘round in a series of six email exchanges over the next week, a simple two-minute phone call gets the job done.    

I walk into my boss’s office.  “Boss,” I say, “what did people do before emails?” 
She laughs and hands me a big box of documents to shred. 

“What are these?” I ask.
“Just some expired files from about 15 years ago.  Mostly faxes.” 

MOV 

8 comments:

  1. Smart thinking! My bank does that and the first time they called me when I forgot my PW I was shocked but happy as well :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be shocked by a phone call, too. I think that's a great idea. You're onto something.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That job sounds perfect for you! It is definitely a surprise to speak to anyone on the phone anymore. Seems rather sad in a way. I think you're just using the Virgo in you to find the most efficient way to conduct business. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are GOOD! My daughter was in the car with me one day and I asked her if her friend was coming over later that day. She answered by saying "She is not answering my texts"
    I asked " Well call her at home, I know for a fact she is there."
    She looked at me as if I was crazy and said " Mom Nobody calls anymore."
    We are going camping this weekend and both my kids will not be able to use any electronics or phones.....They might just end up suffering from withdrawl!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here at work we have a rule that if an e-mail thread on a given topic/issue goes beyond 4 back-n-forth e-mails then a phone call is in order. Unfortunately this usually then involves five or six more back-n-forth e-mails to decide when everyone involved is available for the phone call to take place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LMAO! I have just read like 10 of your post and want to go through and click 'funny' on every one! You are fabulous! I'm buying the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally made my day!!! Thank you, April. (and maybe don't mention that I paid you a million dollars to make the nice comment above............)

      best,
      MOV

      Delete
  7. Hmmm, I do love the phonecalls, but have you considered putting the picture of your book in your signature line?

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)