MOVarazzi

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

835. When Sexy's Not

It’s no secret that I love the television show Top Chef.  All those personalities, all those judges, all that food.  Yummy.  But I have noticed an alarming trend lately, and that is that everyone and their competitor wants to use the word “sexy” to describe, well, just about anything.  The buñuelos are sexy, the roast chicken is sexy, heck, even the grilled asparagus with garlic is sexy. 

The word, frankly, is overused. 
Jude Law is sexy.  Leonardo DiCaprio has sex appeal oozing out his pores.  Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, or George Clooney—do we need to discuss their sexiness?  Brad Pitt pretty much defines sexy.   

But buñuelos?  Little fried pieces of shortening dipped in powdered sugar?  I find that to be an insult to Johnny Depp.   
I have a suggestion for the producers of Top Chef:  invest in a thesaurus.  Instead of prompting the contestants, guest judges, and the beleaguered host to overuse the previously glittery and formerly shocking word (“sexy,” in case you missed that), maybe introduce a few new words.  Put the now-lackluster (dare I say, defunct?) dinosaur back on the shelf and instead reach for descriptive words like tantalizing, seductive, flirty, perfect, or heavenly.  Might I suggest alluring, enticing, romantic, or perhaps divinely inspired? 

Cooking is supposed to be an art, so Top Chef could substitute arty words.  Think masterpiece, creative endeavor, pièce de résistance, artistic triumph.  Or consider words that normally describe food, such as delectable, savory, scrumptious, mouthwatering, and satisfying.  Of course there is always that one simple word we used to use to label a great meal:  delicious.   
Not everything is sexy, nor does it have to be.  Last week, I spent the better part of an afternoon hulling fresh strawberries and mixing them with cream and sugar in my ice-cream maker.  The results were well worth it.  I called my two young sons to sample the creamy concoction: 

“Well, boys, what do you think?” 
They did not have to think long for their unanimous answer:  “YUM!”    


MOV
******
trifecta writing challenge:  the word is "dinosaur" and my essay is exactly 333 words

19 comments:

  1. I love your point with this. All these talking heads are looking for descriptive words that have nothing to do with food. Leave it to kids to cut through the pretense: "Yum" is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This probably means I should stop using it at work too huh?. Like "Hey that was a sexy status meeting" or "Here's my expense report, it's pretty sexy".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Christian! that is hilarious. I truly laughed out loud. (My kids say it is more like a "cackle," but whatever.)

      Delete
  3. Sexy really is overused, even when applied to clothes (I'm often puzzled by runway outfits the industry bills as sexy). Food is only sexy if you're feeding it to someone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps they could say "I am sexually attracted to that quesadilla". Or I'd totally like to nail that "scone".

    Could work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You lost me to dreamy sexy-land the second you mentioned Johnny Depp. Food is not sexy; Johnny is sexy. I do not want to bang a burrito.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that burrito bought me a tennis bracelet from Tiffany, I'd bang it AND I'd be dirty about it.

      Delete
  6. I agree, YUM pretty much describes it best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! Yes, I have noticed this too. You are so right!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute post. I would say it was sexy just to make a point but I don't want to push too hard at the expense of pushing you over the edge. I hate when a word gets trendy and it keeps popping up everywhere. There was a period of time about 2 years ago that every article in every magazine used the the "tony". The "tony" suburbs, the "tony" boutiques, etc. I never did figure out what "tony" even meant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES!!! Bravo!!! I don't need my food to be described in a more flattering light than I am!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I cook, I'd much rather have my family say "yum" than "this looks sexy." In fact, I think I would take that as an insult.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sexy and food just don't work for me. Which doesn't mean that I can't feel sexy or look sexy (rarely) when eating food. Well, after swallowing because chewing is just so not sexy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made me laugh. Food isn't sexy (to me at least.)

    Years ago, the company I worked for was doing a website re-design. The upper management revealed that they were going to debut a 'sexier' website. Sorry, but insurance websites aren't sexy, either.

    I totally agree that 'yum' is much better. (Though it would've been funny if your kids told you the ice cream was 'sexy' :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really well done. I always like the Trifecta entries that, like this one, "stand alone" on their own merits, that read as if they were written before the blogger ever heard the Trifecta prompt. I don't know about other folks, but if I write something at the last minute for Trifecta, it just isn't as strong as something like this post is, one that you obviously feel strongly about. (Totally agree, by the way: Giada is relatively sexy, but her food is, well, food)

    ReplyDelete
  14. some food is sexy...but not all. And variety is the spice of life. So that applies to words as well as foods :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you may have a career waiting for you in food blogging because all of those words were perfect. And I agree, it's so easy to fall back on the same old words. Shake it up, Food Network!
    Thanks for playing along. Be sure to come back tomorrow for the new challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jude Law is one of my biggest man-crushes... and yes, I would say that he is sexy.

    Cooking, however, is not sexy. It is scary.

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)