MOVarazzi

Monday, August 27, 2012

834. Lost In Living

Recently, a reader contacted me about her movie. Usually when people contact me, it is about me owing money to American Express, or needing to get my teeth cleaned or my tires rotated, so this was definitely a nice change of pace. When she said she was a film-maker based in Los Angeles, my mind immediately started to wander. I’ll bet she was up for an Oscar and she knew I was a writer so she was going to invite me to her world-wide premiere or the Sundance Film Festival! I would get to buy a new dress, get my hair highlighted, and hang out with George Clooney!  

“This is not an invitation,” said The Husband bursting my bubble like he always did. He read her email once more. “She just wants to tell you about her film. But when she does get famous, you can say you knew her back then.”

It was exactly like my relationship with Angelina Jolie before she became ├╝ber famous. There I was, back in the early days before Brad Pitt, giving Angelina acting advice, and she—
“You don’t know Angelina Jolie, either. Stop pretending you do.” Apparently, The Husband thinks he’s a mind-reader now.

Anyway, without further ado, I am turning my blog over today to the talented Mary Trunk so she can tell you about her latest project. Enjoy!
***************
Where are you in your journey of mothering and your journey of creativity? Perhaps you are contemplating your next novel or blog post while also nursing your infant. Did you just find out you are pregnant and the star of a new play? Or possibly your children are grown and you now have all the time in the world to paint in your studio.


I am the Director of an upcoming documentary film called Lost In Living. Filmed over seven years, my film confronts the contradictions inherent in personal ambition and self-sacrifice, female friendship and mental isolation, big projects and dirty dishes. The intense and messy journey of motherhood and creative passion.
I was one of those women who vowed never to have children. I was the oldest of seven, forced to babysit constantly and wanted no part of it when I grew up. I studied drawing and painting, became a dancer and choreographer and got my MFA in film. I was terrified that a child would strip me of all of that. It took me many years and therapy sessions to realize that while having a child WOULD change everything it did not mean I had to stop being an artist. I’d just be a different artist.

My daughter was born in 2001. Those early years were relentless, boring, wonderful and lonely. Where was the life I had lost in living this new one as a mother? I needed to meet other mothers experiencing the same thing. And so my journey began. My film focuses on four women who reveal their most vulnerable and personal revelations about their lives as mothers and creative beings.
Please visit the website to view the trailer and short clips from the film.

A Kickstarter campaign has been launched to raise the final funds to complete the film by October. A thousand thanks if you can spread the word, contribute and participate in this journey with me.  Here is the LINK.  (Just 10 days left!)
I hope this film speaks to you because your words have inspired me and kept me going. Thanks!
**************

5 comments:

  1. Huge thanks, MOV! And thanks to all of you who have time to check out my new upcoming film. -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing documentary. I can't wait to see the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for taking a look. If you want to sign up for the newsletter on the website, I can keep you updated about the film (www.maandpafilms.com/lostinliving). Again thanks so much for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. Sounds great. I love documentaries, and this one seems particularly intelligent. How can moms maintain their identities? My children are adults, and I'm still looking for the "me" I lost.

    Love,
    Janie Junebug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Janie. You're not alone!

      Delete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)