MOVarazzi

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

832. Summer Is Over On August 22

I looked at the calendar a few days ago and realized with mixed emotions that there are only two more weeks of summer left.  That’s okay, a lot can happen in 14 days—when I was 14, I could have met a cute guy and 14 minutes later developed a very serious crush on him.  In 14 hours, I could have called my best friend with the simpatico heart 14 times and lamented about how my crush may or may not like me back.  In 14 days I could have planned our wedding and named all our future children.  I’m just saying:  14 days still gives you time to accomplish some things. 

However, the rest of the population does not tend to view things the way I do.  Everyone I know is going around like Chicken Little squawking, “Summer is over!  Summer is over!”

The problem with late August is that although it is still technically summer, people feel compelled to repeatedly remind each other “Summer is almost over!  Won’t be summer too much longer!  Gonna have to put away the swimsuits and get out the coats!”  Everyone wants to rush the season. 
Don’t even get me started on the local department stores.  I try to find some cute shorts on sale, and all I see are flannel pants, cashmere sweaters, and fleece jackets.  The mannequins are even smirking at me from behind their wool hats and matching scarves.    

My outdoor thermometer reads 95 degrees. 
I want to enjoy the last sunny remnants of summer.  I want to go to the pool and worry about getting sunburnt.  I want to tell The Husband he needs to mow the lawn again because can you believe how fast the grass grows in summer?  I want to slurp Popsicles on the back patio and have them melt all over my hand before I get halfway done.  I want to luxuriate in my 14 days. 

Sorry, I have to run.  I think I hear the ice-cream truck.

MOV




**********
trifecta writing challenge:  the word is heart, and my essay is exactly 333 words

19 comments:

  1. I can't support you in this. I am 46 years old and I still want to buy new school supplies. In July. I am ready for sweaters. I no longer want to sweat under my boobs. Die, summer. Die!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noooooooo! It's starting to get cooler (a bit) in the mornings and while it's a nice temp, I don't like it for that "summer's going" reason. And, as you said, winter stuff was at Costco yesterday, while it's still hot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our local Hobby Lobby has Christmas merchandise out already. Yes, you read that correctly -- CHRISTMAS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Milk it for all it's worth, MOV! I'm with you. My next season is "indian summer" followed closely by my favorite season of all fall. But I'm not even close to be ready for that because there's too much summer fun left to be had! I feel for Tropical Sno the way it's sounds like you feel for the ice cream truck. Gotta have it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in the NW our true summer weather doesn't kick in until August so it's especially hard to hear people talking about how summer is almost over. For god's sake it just started!!!

    There should be no talk of summer being over until there is ice on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah lovely summers :)
    beautiful and I love your attitude too

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is almost as bad as walking into a store the day after Halloween and they are putting Christmas decorations up and wearing Santa Hats. Makes me wanna slap the hats of the clerks and yell, can I get a freaking turkey up in here?! I mean, one season at a time people!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love winter. It is very tropical in the winter here. The mosquitoes won't die, though, as it doesn't get cold enough. They are just happy because my blood is slush like in the winter. Cherry flavor.

    Oh, and there is this guy I have a huge crush on and I think he likes me back. How many times can I call you and tell you about that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stay a little longer summer! I love you so!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't even feel like summer started yet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dread the end of summer, even though it's so hot you can't move over here. Winter means rain and cold and damp and laundry that takes months to dry, if it ever does. No, please give me popsicles and baby pools, thank you.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first paragraph of 14s is very clever. I'm actually looking forward to the end of summer because "winter" is the nice time of year around here. (Winter is in quotes because it can barely be called that. It doesn't snow and it's when we do all our outdoor stuff.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. No kidding about people rushing you in late August! It drives me crazy every year. Frankly, I consider it summer until the equinox arrives and summer is officially over.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, yes, yes! I plan on sucking the very last bit of BBQ sauce off the ribs of summer. Even if it means the kids start school in shorts with chlorine in their hair.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw Halloween candy in my local grocery store. HALLOWEEN!!! Dammit, can't they wait until AFTER labor day at least??

    Sigh...Christmas decorations will be arriving any day now

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are never really where we are, always in the future. Thus are the golden days of summer filched from the swim-suited, popsicle eating clan of the blissfully unprepared. Fight 'em with all you've got! They've already taken my kids back to school.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too love the freedom that summer seems to bring. Our childhood memories have a lot to do with that. I enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fall is my favorite season, so I am excited, but I will miss the ice cream trucks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just think if you live where it's hot. They're sending our kids back to school on August 2nd. Yeah. Summer never happened here. We have all the heat but none of the fun. By the time you realize you have a few days to get some swimming in, they're rolling out the school supplies. Seriously. I'm with you, MOV. I miss you, summer. I miss riding my bike down to the store to get otter pops. I miss laying out by the pool after a hard day of weeding. Childhood is gone with the summer.
    SIGH.

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)