MOVarazzi

Sunday, July 8, 2012

812. That One Perfect Outfit

Everyone has that one perfect outfit, the one we reach for again and again.  For me, when I was 10, that outfit was a burgundy and gray velour matching top and pull-on elastic bottoms. 





Oh, how I loved that outfit. 

It was comfy, dressy, casual, and cutting edge, all at the same time. 

My beloved grandmother bought it for me, and she was known to have very good taste in clothes. 



My grandmother also had the good sense and unlimited budget to buy me two other “coordinating” pieces. 


This meant that I could mix and match and no one would even notice that I was recycling the same clothing pieces several times a week. 





Eventually, the outfit wore out or I got too tall for it, who knows for sure. 




The point is:  I was devastated. 




Ever since that time, I have been searching for the perfect outfit, the one that makes my eyes look bluer, my legs look longer, and my brain look smarter. 




In college, I found that perfect outfit once again. 




It was a floral jumpsuit by Laura Ashley, and everyone told me I look great in it. 




It, too, finally died one day, after a long and prosperous life of making me look fantastic. 







Recently I was at Target and happened upon the 40-year-old me’s version of the perfect outfit. 


It is a blue and white tie-dye shirt and fluffy white tennis skirt. 


I do not play tennis, but I have always wanted to look like I do. 


Of course I bought the outfit immediately and began wearing it even sooner than that. 





Let’s just hope that this outfit lasts a little bit longer than those other ones, because I know it will stay in style forever. 
MOV

21 comments:

  1. I remember when Laura Ashley was all the rage. AND I buy so many cute things at Target. My uniforms usually include some sort of black bottom and fun top but lately a dress ordered through Athleta. I'm addicted to that website! But gotta ha ve that one outfit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my grandma had bought me the Star Trek: New Generation velour uniform to wear when I was a kid. But when I was a kid, it was still Star Trek: The Original, and I wasn't allowed to wear skirts that short or shirts that tight.
    You're lucky.
    My uniform as a kid was my orange Kawasaki t shirt and wide legged cords. I looked like an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite outfit is my birthday suit. God, I look good in it.

    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  4. T-shirts and sweatpants. That is how I roll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was around 12, I had this mint green, shorts jumpsuit that I adored. I can't fathom why now, when I look back at the pictures, but I guess as long as you FEEL fabulous, it doesn't matter as much if you actually LOOK fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found the perfect outfit recently too. Only it's far too classy to wear at home and too warm to wear in the summer so the opportunities to wear it will be rather limited.

    I've several of those, so I end up wearing the same old dowdy clothes. Does that happen to you too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummm....we all know the perfect outfit. Yoga pants and a tank top. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was fantastic.
    I, too, had a favorite outfit as a child. No luck in finding one as an adult, but I haven't given up yet. I think the problem is that I haven't shopped at a Target for a long time. It's there. I can feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure I had that same velour top! So stylish. :-) My favorite clothes now tend to be black. Hides a multitude of sins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes I wish I had named my first born Velour. It sounds so sophisticated and worldly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that is the outfit I bought at Target the other day :) Sadly, most of my clothes come from Target these days. I never make it to a mall, and if I do, it is to the Disney store and indoor playground. But the fluffy skirt is so comfy, and so is the little white tank I bought to match.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your childhood outfit with the mix and match tops is absolutely so fabulous!! I know I would have been jealous of you in my youth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh. Yes. I had the sweater skirt and matching short sleeved sweater top, both BRIGHT YELLOW with little red crochetted flowers. I wore it with red knit tights and gogo boots with fringe.

    I would make a joke about my mother allowing me to dress myself, but the outfit belonged to her when she was a teenager in the 60's, so I think I get a pass.

    Later, there were SO MANY acid washed jeans, and bulky sweaters with belts... You know, during the mullet years...

    I wish I had something that awesome again. Might be time to go to Target.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my 1st time i visit right here. I discovered a lot of entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all of the enjoyment here! Maintain up the excellent Job.

    Hidden Camera

    ReplyDelete
  15. Most of us can relate to this post, hilarious!

    Cheers!

    - Ian

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh btw, check out my blog sometime if you'd like, thanks!

    euphemismsoflife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, i laughed out loud too many times in this post!!
    I'm like that with jeans. When I find a really good pari that fit comfortably everywhere, I buy like 2 or 3 pairs of them!! Maybe that's an idea? Buying two or three of the skirt and shirt!? that way, if one gets ruined, you have a back up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. There was this dress...a spandexy thing in a size 5 that I wore and wore...but alas the size grew into the double digits and now that dress would be used as a tourniquet. sigh.....
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)