MOVarazzi

Sunday, July 1, 2012

806. Power Out

Two nights ago, we had a big lightening heat storm.  I love storms.  I love hearing the rain beat down, I love the boom of the thunder, I love the flash of lightening.  Everything we (people) do seems so insignificant in the face of nature’s strength. 

However. 
I was typing on the computer when the storm began.  I am smart enough to know that a storm like that can damage my computer, so I immediately* (*when I was finished buying that cute embroidered pillow on etsy) logged off and shut the computer down, and then unplugged it from the wall. 

I went downstairs and found The Husband and we watched the storm together.  And that is when it happened:  the power went out. 
And then it went back on. 

Then out.

Then on again. 

Then out.  Most definitely out. 
My very first thought was:  I am so smart to have unplugged my computer!  The Gods of Storm could’ve ruined my computer, but I cut them off!  Yay, me! 

My very second thought was:  Power = air conditioning.  No power = hot. 
Now, I will flash ahead to the end of the story like they do in movies sometimes, you know, when the main character is retelling the events to someone:  we got our power back about 24 hours later.  But a lot that can happen in 24 hours with no air conditioning. 

Crucial Steps in Power Outage Denial and Recovery
  • Tell yourself:  the power will come back on, probably in about two hours.  Come on, let’s open a window and go to bed. 
  • Wake up to very hot house.  Yell at your husband for even thinking about opening the fridge to get milk out because all the food will instantaneously go bad when the warm air rushes in.  Eat raisin bread and a banana for breakfast, stare longingly at the coffee pot and wonder aloud how the pilgrims did it. 
  • Read a book and tell the kids to go read a book.  Be ignored by the kids who run around the house playing some loud game they made up and interrupting your quiet book time. 
  • Check the temperature:  88 degrees.  It is 9:30 in the morning.   
  • Pick up your cell phone to call the pool to see if they are open.  You do not have the number memorized or programmed into your phone, so go upstairs to the computer to look it up. 
  • Sit down at desk at (unplugged) computer and flip switch.  Because you are that dumb. 
  • Laugh at yourself and call information.  When the phone lines are down and your call does not go through, convince your husband, your kids, and yourself that the pool is most likely closed.  After all, they have to pump all that chlorine through the system, and they have to have their computer on so they can check your membership number. 
  • Check the temperature:  93 degrees. 
  • Look at your watch and realize it is now 2 PM.  This means the refrigerator has been off for more than 15 hours.  Get the melted ice-cream out, call in the kids into the kitchen and start eating. 
  • Apologize to The Husband for insisting he not open the fridge earlier.  Put ice in your drink.   
  • Go outside and watch the kids run through the sprinkler.  Take photos. 
  • Listen to the radio and convince yourself that when the announcer says that “one million people are without power,” he is just rounding up. 
  • Alternate between going to the basement to sit on the cold floor and going to the sink to splash cold water on your face. 
  • Take the kids and go to bed (in the basement), realizing that you might have to repeat all of the above steps for the next five days if the power does not come back on. 
  • When the lights flicker on in the middle of the night, say a prayer of thanks. 

photo by MOV


MOV

30 comments:

  1. Ha! This list is soooo true, especially telling yourself it'll be back on any minute. It'll turn on... Now! Now! Wait for it... Now!
    Plus, I'm sick of those damn Pilgrims always making us look bad, surviving without coffee and making due with outdated phone books, hanging out in the cool root cellar on hot days, passing the time by darning themselves a new window A/C unit. Jerks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those pilgrims have it out for us, don't they?

      Delete
  2. I have a friend outside of Baltimore who is going on day two with no power. She is contemplating swimming in open sewage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kirby, I hope she got her power back!

      Delete
  3. living without electricity seems almost impossible, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really does. I was so grateful to have AC back in this heat.

      Delete
  4. I cannot live without electricity for more than 30 minutes. It's too hot. If the power goes out, the dogs and I are moving into a hotel that has AC.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the first time my son was on the liquid pink medicine, we lost power for a few days. We had a big cooler, and I am pretty sure milk and that penicillin were the only things I was worried about saving. Didn't we used to think wre outages were fun as kids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. because we were crazy as kids, and maybe heat did not affect us so much. But now....... every degree hotter it gets, I feel like 10 IQ points just fell out of my brain.

      Delete
  6. Ugh, we lost power for 8 days last October and had the opposite issue--it was COLD. Glad yours came back after a day so you could get cool again (and blog too, of course!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8 days?!? OMG, now I feel like such a whiner. And cold is pretty bad, isn't it?

      Delete
  7. if it even thinks of raining here we lose power during the three back to back hurricanes a few years back i was without power for a month..I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A MONTH?!? Wow, 24 hours does not seem so bad in the grand scheme of things.

      Delete
  8. We don't have air conditioning. It is very, very hot today. Yesterday I had to keep putting my clay figures in the fridge in between photos, because they were melting. It's probably 10 times hotter where you are, so I definitely empathize. I'm glad the power came back on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was pregnant with Tall 9 years ago, we had no AC in that house. I saved my money and bought AC! I could not live without it when I was overheating for two.

      Delete
  9. I can definitely sympathize with you on this one. Living out in the sticks, we lose power a lot. After hurricane Ike, it was out for 2 weeks. It was a lot like camping, but without the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TWO WEEKS?!? My readers are hardy folks.

      Delete
  10. We dont often get storms that bad in the UK, but if there ever is one in the future, after reading this post, I know feel a little more prepared :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just set up the sprinklers in the back yard!

      Delete
  11. Ha! I just blogged about something very similar! I think we had parallel experiences! Very funny.

    My blog: annewoodman.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I will head over to read it right now! thanks!

      Delete
  12. Sorry you had to deal with this but at least you got a great post out of it!

    Did you hand-write anything on paper during this time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know, the heat zapped any ideas I might have had...

      Delete
  13. I can stand the heat, and the food going bad. What I can't stand is the dark. Once a year, the power goes out as a result of the weather, or a car accident. Without fail, it will happen after the sun has set. Not good. I am terrified of the dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the food going bad was sad. We had (of course) JUST gone to the grocery store. Goodbye delicious Brie!

      But yes, dark is worse. PITCH BLACK DARK inside at 7 PM. Not fun!

      Delete
  14. Ack. Not fun. I am glad you are all ok. We were without power for about 5 days a couple of years ago due to a very bad storm in our area. Thankfully it was in May and not terribly hot at the time. We were certainly pleased that we had a gas water heater. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FIVE DAYS?!? Yowza. I am a wimp.

      Delete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)