MOVarazzi

Thursday, May 10, 2012

768. Addict

(Despite the tantalizing title, know in advance this post has nothing to do with Muse.  She will be back, though, I promise!) 

When I used to work for the high-end kitchen store, I fell in love with a certain espresso machine.  On a crowded counter in the back of the store, we had a row of six different demo machines, lined up neatly and standing at attention like sleek metal soldiers waiting for their orders. 
“Get me through the day!” I’d bark at the first one first thing in the morning.  “I need a pick me up!” I’d shout at it later around three in the afternoon.  The espresso machine never let me down. 
The Boss realized my addiction and somehow thought that free espresso would be enough to keep me there after my four-year buying spree. 

“I quit,” I said one day, matter-of-fact.  “It’s time for me to go.” 

There are only so many times when you can hold a customer’s hand and guide them to just the right vegetable chopper.  “It’s called a ‘knife’!” I’d joke with the other salespeople, after I’d rung up the unwieldy and storage-resistant plastic appliance.  “If the customers would just buy a simple knife, they wouldn’t need half of this stuff!” 
“We don’t need half this stuff,” The Husband had said to me the previous night as we surveyed the basement, cluttered with impulse purchases from the high-end kitchen store.  “You spend all your earnings there.  I think you should get a new job so you can save your money.  Who knows, maybe we could even afford a vacation if you stopped buying linen tablecloths and crystal wine glasses.” 

When my last day at the high-end kitchen store finally came, I went to the back stock room and came out with an espresso machine.  “Is that for a customer?” asked The Boss.  “No, it’s for me,” I smiled.  I was buying one last souvenir from the Land of The Over-Priced Gadgets. 
I started using it immediately.  “It will save us money,” I explained to The Husband as he tapped his foot impatiently on the kitchen floor.  “See?  It takes pods.  The pods only cost 50 cents.  How much do you spend at Starbucks each time?  Four dollars?” 

I remembered these very words yesterday as I handed the girl a crisp $5 bill.  Part of the pod system for this particular espresso machine involved remembering to order the pods from Switzerland when you ran out. 
“See you again tomorrow, MOV!” chirped the girl in the green apron. 

I shook my head.  “No, no, I almost always drink my coffee at home,” I corrected her, as if the Caffeine Police might jump out at me at any moment. 
“See you tomorrow, MOV,” she repeated. 

Oh, how wrong she was.  She was off the next day when I came in.    
MOV

22 comments:

  1. Similarly, I will often buy food such as milk and bread, then always just get take out, leaving that food to expire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ask you, ARE WE THE SAME PERSON????????

      xxo
      MOV

      Delete
  2. LOL My husband bought me one of those coffee machines with the idea that I'd spend less money at Starbucks too. And in some ways, he's right. I do spend less at Starbucks... but I think I drink more coffee and go through just as much money's worth of coffee cups a day!

    Jo
    In Which We Start Anew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The ease of it, being right there in the kitchen, beckoning to you: "Time for your little espresso fix, yoohoo! Make it a double!!"

      Delete
  3. Mmmmmmmmmm....coffee.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make an extra one for you, Couse.

      Delete
  4. LOL I've always wanted one of those machines. Mother's Day gift, perhaps? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. I know I sound like a commercial, but that machine has changed my life (for the better).

      Delete
  5. I'm the same with Coca-Cola. I have it in the fridge but by it on the run anyway. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Glad I am not alone.........

      Delete
  6. Someone bought me a breadmaker once. Silly wabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In an amazing burst of will-power (and a certain lack of money) I have been pretty good about not ever going into any kind of kitchen store - high end or otherwise. If I had, I am fairly certain that my kitchen would be jam-packed with over-priced, rarely used kitchen implements.

    So very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's true. I am a victim of very effective marketing. And a 40% discount.

      Delete
  8. Is your machine a Nespresso?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it! It is the "Citiz" model. I like the "Pixie" too.

      Delete
  9. My manicurist told me she used to spend about 800 dollars a year on take away coffee, now she pays Bruegger's 100 and thirty or so, maybe a bit more and gets all the coffee she wants for a year. I almost fell in the water of the pedicure chair.

    I spend about 15 dollars a year for take away coffee as I have a European crema maker and a special bean grinder. But I do buy food to throw away every week and I love Fiji water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have our weaknesses.

      And where have you been, Nola? I have missed you!!!

      Delete
  10. I used to work at a store that had a wonderfully fancy coffee machine capable of producing probably 6 different kinds of coffee beverages...it was wonderful. Someday....someday I'll be able to pay lots of money for a great coffeemaker! The downside (price aside) is the size of those machines as well as the cleaning effort they require!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But that is the beauty of it-- my machine is itty bitty!

      Delete
  11. I don't rally drink coffee, but those darn machines make me think I should...especially when my. Fire d makes us iced coffee drinks with chocolate...yes, I really need one of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally buy the machine just for when your friends come over. Not so you can generously make them a special drink, but so you can show off. :)

      Delete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)