MOVarazzi

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

761. MOV's Reflections on the A to Z Challenge

“Sweetie, the phone.  It’s that A to Z guy again, he wants your opinion on something.”  The Husband thrust the phone at me, and I prayed the battery would die or the connection would be lost. 

No such luck.  Four bars of power and zero static.  I put on my headset so I could at least multi-task.   


“He---ll---oooooo?” I said, in my best static-y voice.  “I can’t hear you …” 

“MOV, it’s me.  I know you can hear me.  Hey, just eight questions, that’s it, then I’ll let you go.  Come on, this won’t take long.” 

I wanted to slam the phone down dramatically, but it was a cell phone.  The only sound it made when I shut it off was a soft, whispery tune, like a beautiful bluebird singing a lullaby.  No matter how fiercely, how violently, how emphatically I closed that cell phone, it was never going to have the desired effect. 
“What do you people want—blood?  ‘Cause I’m out of that, too,” I whimpered. 

“Oh, MOV, you are so funny!  Eight questions.  How can we improve things for next year if we don’t get feedback?” 
The only thing I wanted to feed was my Sleep Piggy Bank. 
And the only things I wanted back were the last 30 days of my social life. 

“Fine, fine, if you’ll leave me alone after that, I’ll answer your questions.”  I felt like the sole witness to a carjacking, and the police had taken into me into custody for interrogation. 

1.      How’d it go?  Make some friends?  See, there is that good cop/ bad cop thing. 
"Can I get you a donut, MOV?"   


2.      What were the highlights?  I liked finding new blogs that were my taste (silly/ funny/ inspiring, and a little bit ridiculous). 

3.      Did you enjoy posting daily?  You know, I usually do post daily, but it is self-imposed.  I gotta say I did not really enjoy knowing that I HAD to post daily.  It pushed me, but not necessarily in the best, most creative way.  Plus, I was insane enough to do the challenge on two blogs simultaneously (the other blog is Word Cut —I did a travel theme).         

4.      Was time management an issue?  You do know I’m Virgo, right?   

5.      Did you have a theme?  My theme was what I always write:  humor in the mundane.  (I can find the funny in nothing!)  However, I did try to map out all the letters in advance, you know, in case I forgot the order or something.         

6.      What about comments?  I did stumble on quite a few blogs with word verification.  Please tell everyone to get rid of word verification.  Here is the link to my friend Stephanie’s blog (Clay Baboons).  She walks you through turning it off. 

7.      Next year?  Too far away to think about.

8.      Advice for the hosts of the event?  Yes!  Please have the bloggers put themselves into categories and list them that way (e.g. humor, religion, sci-fi, cartoons, fantasy, family, etc.).

I was just getting started on giving him some great feedback and advice, when we were suddenly and inexplicably disconnected.  That’s okay:  I know he’ll call back next year.  
MOV

28 comments:

  1. Oooooh...I love the idea of categories. That would have made it a lot more fun for me to explore blogs. As it was, there were some for which it was just too much of a struggle to relate, so i didn't really bother reading or commenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should email the hosts with that suggestion.

      Delete
    2. Stephanie,

      Thanks! I hope they follow my suggestion. I did email it to them. I think if LOTS of people email them about this, they might consider it????

      best,
      MOV

      Delete
  2. Funny post! Yes the idea of putting blogs into catergories is a good one and I remember it being suggested before. I hope they do that next year.
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne,

      Thank you for reading! I am glad you like my idea. Think about it: a library is organized (Dewey Decimal must've been a Virgo) and book stores are organized-- why not blog lists?

      best,
      MOV

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Tracie,

      Thank you! Now where is that shot of tequila....

      best,
      MOV

      Delete
  4. I already had the categories on my May 7th reflections post (yes, I'm a Virgo and that post is already done...LOL!). I so agree...with that many blogs I know I would find and follow more of interest to me. I'd still dabble in others but without the pressure.

    Loved your write up...be sure to check out my post today. Think you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna (fellow Virgo friend),

      I checked out your blog-- love it!

      And I am glad you agree about the categories. Please email the A to Z hosts and let them know!

      Thanks for your nice comment. :)

      best,
      MOV

      Delete
  5. LOL I enjoyed the challenge but it was definitely hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael,

      Thanks for stopping by. I think anyone who finished the challenge should get a virtual glass of champagne (what am I saying? a real glass!).

      Congrats to you for doing the challenge!

      best,
      MOV

      Delete
  6. I like your button! You *did* survive and we are certainly glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Couse,

      Thought you would like that. :)

      best,
      MOV

      Delete
  7. I think catagories are a great idea. AND yes, word verifications are the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cheryl,

      I hope they take our advice for next year then!

      best,
      MOV

      Delete
  8. Great posting today and once again Thanks for the laughs today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gossip Grl (can I call you GG? GG is so cute),

      Thank you for your kind words!

      best,
      MOV

      Delete
  9. Oooooh! Categories instead of judging blogs by their covers/titles! Good thinking MOV. Maybe some more space between the lines for us elders? Congrats again on your double duty challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea,

      I guess we all do judge the other blogs by their names. I most likely will not click on a blog called "Blood and Gore" (and too bad, because maybe those are the names of the person's doggies? maybe it is a super-cute photo blog?). Just put the blogs in categories (like they do the literature at book stores and libraries) so I can find what I am actually interested in! I try to keep an open mind, but I know what I like after being me for 40 + years.

      best,
      MOV

      Delete
  10. I am still having flashbacks from the challenge. I don't think I am ready to revisit it yet. Maybe next month. Crap. It IS next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, May sneaks up on us. May 1 is The Husband's birthday and I always remember ... however, members of his own family use the excuse that they just flipped that calendar page over from April and there was May 1, punching them in the face. How dare The Husband have the audacity to be born on May 1?! He should have been more considerate of future birthday card buyers/ senders and had his birthday mid-month instead.

      best,
      MOV

      Delete
  11. That last one about having the blogs in categories is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A new reader- I was hooked by the way you handled this challenge. It was so fun and interesting to follow how you handed each new letter. also thank you for the lack of ads on your blog. Some blogs have become little more than billboards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for noticing the intentional absence of ads. I made a very conscious decision to NOT have ads when I started my blog almost 2 years ago. My understanding is that ads can generate about $100 to $150 of revenue a month (in some high-traffic blogs). I would pay that much to NOT have ads! To me, they are "visual noise." I want my blog to be a soothing place where people come to read/ escape/ and maybe laugh a bit. (Is my blog a spa?!?) Anyway, if I WAS going to advertise something, what would it be? My writing? You are already here, reading it!!!

      Thank you for being a new reader. Stick around! I am glad you are here. :)

      best,
      MOV

      Delete
  13. Also add my vote to blog categories! Congratulations on a fabulous A-Z :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lily Tequila (coolest name ever, by the way),

      Thanks for agreeing with me on the category distiction. I hope they make this change for next year.

      And congratulations to you on a great A to Z as well!!

      best,
      MOV

      Delete
  14. Congrats on getting over the line, well two lines in act. And thanks for popping over yourself. I also second the categories, but what would they be? Well we've got a few months to think about that :)

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)