MOVarazzi

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

697. Donate Out of Love, Guilt, or Both

Hello beloved blog readers!

I am writing this open letter to you to let you know how much I appreciate you and your loyalty of reading my essays for the past almost two years. A lot of people ask me how much money I make by blogging, and when they do, I usually laugh (a fake laugh) and say, “Oh, I can’t even count that high!” or some such nonsense.

The truth is, I can count that high. Everyone can count to zero.

I make zero on my blog. And I spend hours and hours each day writing my posts (don't even get me started on the illustrated posts I do sometimes, those can take days).

Wait—what?!? I know you are thinking, I heard about this one blogger who makes like a million a year! How does she make a million?

Friends, she has ads on her blog. Blinking, annoying, moving ads that assault your eyes when you just want to read a funny article. Ads that you accidentally roll over with your mouse and then are transported to another window and can’t get the ad off your screen.

I don’t know about you, but I personally hate ads. HATE THEM WITH A VENGENCE normally reserved for expensive shoes that are too tight and give you a painful blister or milk that was expired but you forgot to check the expiration date because you were in a hurry or traffic that caused you to be late to your root canal appointment that you didn’t want to go to in the first place.

Ads. Are. Horrible.

Hmmm. I think you know where this is going. I don’t want ads, yet I do want to keep writing this blog and maybe have a teensy bit of spending money to buy a Starbucks latte from time to time. So, after much ruminating and soul-searching and see-sawing, I have decided to go boldly where my fellow bloggers before me have gone (I’m talking to you Haley's ComicJust Inappropriate, and Gweenbrick): I’m adding a Donate button.

You can donate via PayPal or with a credit card. Click on the new “Donate” button I added on the sidebar over there to the right.

You can donate $1. You can donate $10. You can donate $100. There is no minimum or maximum. (Or you can buy my book, “Mom’s Had A Rough Day” on Amazon. The book is only $15.) You can donate once, or you can donate multiple times. If the essay that day is especially good, you can donate $5, like a tip you would give the babysitter or valet guy who parks your car. In fact, we’ll even call it my “Tip Jar” to make it sound like what it is: completely optional. You can donate whatever amount you think my writing is “worth” that day.

Your donation will be tax-deductible as a charity cause. (Okay, I just checked with accountants online dot com and that’s not true after all.) If you donate more than $100, I will be happy to write an article on the topic of your choice. Just put it in the memo section (for example: “Horoscopes” or “Brad Pitt”).

And remember, the donating is totally optional!  If you do not want to donate or cannot afford to donate, that is absolutely fine.  It is entirely up to you.  Think of me NOT as that guy outside of the grocery store holding his hat out, but instead think of me as that really talented guy playing the violin at the subway entrance.  The grocery guy is doing nothing, but the violin subway guy has a talent he is sharing.  :)  SUPPORT TALENT. 

Thank you for your generosity, and thank you for keeping my site ad-free!

MOV

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Michael!

      Thank you for reading this. I feel I should maybe elaborate? There are a lot of talented bloggers out there, but the ones I personally prefer to read (like Hyperbole and a Half when she used to publish more frequently) have NO ADS. Even if a blogger has content that I love, it is really off-putting and distracting to me to see ads blinking around (maybe this is my hyper-Virgo-ness showing through?).

      The bottom line is this: if I put ads on my site, it would bother some people. If I put a donate button, it would bother some people. But you can donate or not donate, you can keep reading for free which is TOTALLY FINE (honest), but if the essays I wrote are making you laugh a lot then you have the option (IF YOU WANT) to make a donation. And, at least you know 100% of it is going to me, THE WRITER, and not to some product. The only product I sell is my book, which is again the words I write.

      I hope you are supportive of the donate button, even if you personally abstain from donating yourself. Please keep reading and thank you for being here!!!

      Julie (the real human being person who is writing all this)

      Delete
  2. That's a very good idea MOV, it's good to know we can give something back. I don't write a blog to entertain you so it's the least I can do.
    If I click on that button it will probably polish my image of the perfect bot.
    Well, I also share my days with (3) boys and I spend way too much time on the computer, but always for a good reason! I give private french lessons for the fun of it to desperate german kids with bad grades. This gives me a very tiny income which I call my pocket money. I would be happy if all my favorite bloggers had such a button so that I could thank them properly.
    Go bloggers of the universe, kick the ads and give us donate buttons!
    Keep up the good work MOV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, Véronique, what sweet words of encouragement!!! thank you for putting it so eloquently.

      The Husband laughed when I told him I installed the donate button. He said, "You caved in! You're just like those other bloggers!" to which I had to explain that I am not succumbing to the ads, and that the donations are of course optional. Then I asked him, "Do you pay for your newspaper? those writers that write the columns you read every single day ... someone pays them to write, they don't do it for free." Of course he pays for his newspaper. And his magazine subscriptions.

      Anyway, this is my rambling way of saying I really appreciate your moral support! and I, too, wish other bloggers would do this.

      No ads! More quality writing!

      xxo
      MOV

      Delete
  3. Unsurprisingly, I am completely supportive of your donate button! Let me know how it goes. I really like the idea of calling it a "tip jar." (I think I feel an idea for a graphic coming on...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. methinks you and me need to have a discussion about the Haley-designed Tip Jar. hmmmmmmmm.......

      Delete
  4. I'm considering a donate button...I'm torn. I don't want ads, but I want money somehow! SOMEHOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your blog is awesome. I think you should go for it and add the donate button.

      Delete
  5. Just left a small tip courtesy of funds from BlogHer. They are now officially supporting the "competition." heh heh heh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay, marianne! thank you! you are awesome!

      xxo
      MOV

      Delete
  6. Thank you for not succumbing to the ad fad! I hate ads with a fiery passion. And they make the blog take forever to load! Too frustrating.

    Yay for tip jars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Taylor! And your blog is very pretty in a calming, happy, kind of way. Your blog is like the Ritz-Carlton, where I just want to move in and order room-service and sink down into fluffy down comforters that someone else has to iron. Ahhhh. It is making me happy just thinking about it.

      Guess what I noticed on your blog? That's right: NO ADS! Just beautiful content!

      Thank you for your lovely words of moral support. :)

      xxo
      MOV

      Delete
    2. My blog = the Ritz-Carlton? Are you sure you went to my blog? LOL! Thank you for your high praise, MOV. And yes, I've sworn against ever putting ads on my blog. They're just too distracting, and I always wonder if an ad is legit or if it's phishing or a virus link. But I'm paranoid like that. :)

      Delete
    3. yes, Taylor, I have been to your blog. It is my new happy place, a sanctuary of words and all that is lovely.

      Delete
  7. Just bought you a virtual latte...the least I can do to help fire up some more lovely blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love virtual latte! That is the kind that never burns my tongue! Thank you SO MUCH for your support, eke!

      xxo
      MOV

      Delete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)