MOVarazzi

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

688. Leap Blog Day Guest Blogger: Clay Baboons!

(And away we go with my second guest blogger, the lovely and BEYOND talented Miss Stephanie of Clay Baboons fame.  And I do mean fame.  She is going to be famous in the realm of "Hyperbole and a Half" and then I can say that I used to know her when she was still speaking to me, er, emailing me.  You know what I mean.  Enjoy!  And then click over to Stephanie's blog after and FOLLOW HER!!!)    
*******

Thanks to the always funny and charming MOV for inviting me to guest post on her blog! I have big, big shoes to fill. (Errrr...that's not to suggest that MOV has abnormally large feet. I'm sure that her feet are just lovely and perfectly proportional.)


The Z Factor

This is me at a dance-based fitness class:








I get this big goofy grin on my face. The more I notice my grin, the wider it gets. I avoid mirrors, because if I see myself grinning like a maniac, I'll burst into giggles, which is even more embarrassing.

Sometimes, however, group fitness classes aren't funny at all. Sometimes they're serious and intense.

Consider, for example, the BodyCombat class that I used to take when I lived in the city. It was a combination of dance, yelling, and martial-arts inspired kicks and punches. During my favourite track, we had to fight 5 opponents and - this is the best part - gut the last one with our imaginary samurai sword.

Punch opponents one and two.








Elbow opponent four.










I took the sword-fighting track very seriously.




I took it so seriously, in fact, that the instructor called me out on it with a laugh: "That's what I like to see! Someone who's getting angry. Someone's who's taking them down."

I didn't tell her the truth:














I was invincible.

Which leads us to the central thesis of this post:

Inserting zombies into workouts can help you motivate yourself to push harder, farther and faster. I call this motivational tool the Z Factor.

Take running, for example. I like to watch episodes of The Walking Dead while I'm on the treadmill.




The tenser the scene, the faster I run.






What better motivation to run than hordes of the undead snapping at your ankles?

Best of all, the Z factor can also be applied to less aggressive physical activity, such as dance.








The Z Factor. It's infallible.

You're welcome.

******
Thank you so much Stephanie!  And for my regular readers, there is another guest post by Marianne, so please scroll down to it and keep reading.  If you are looking for me, MOV, today, you can find me in two spots:  one, at Kirb Appeal and two, at Haley's Comic.  Thanks for joining our hop, and please check out all the other talented bloggers on the froggy list.   

24 comments:

  1. Maybe I could just give my elliptical to the zombies as a peace offering...they are welcome to just stay upstairs sweating (do zombies sweat?) away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for motivational zombies! I assume you've seen "Shaun of the Dead." That's all I could think of while reading your post -- and I mean that in a good way! Funny as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only one of my all-time favourite movies. A friend of mine (her blog is Tangent Shell) once did a guest post for me about using Zombieland as a training plan. Ha!

      Delete
  3. I'm using this. I actually could have used it earlier---not in a class, because I never go to classes. But on the AMT. I was thinking about making cookies. Now I know the error of my ways!
    Cheers to zombie workouts!

    And I swear I'm not stalking you just because I've commented to you in three different places in one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ok Lisa, you're by far my favourite stalker. Stalk away, friend, stalk away. (And now I'm thinking about cookies too.)

      Delete
  4. I'm not so sure about famous. Ha! But I'll definitely keep emailing you! THANK YOU for inviting me over. I love being your guest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is it. This is exactly the exercise breakthrough I've been looking for. Whoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. INFALLIBLE! (Unless, of course, it fails. In which case I can't be held responsible.)

      Delete
  6. Holy crap, Stephanie, you've summed up my workout motivation 100%.

    Now, if I could only get my hands on an iPhone and get a copy of "Zombies, Run!" the zombie apocalypse running game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! Someone posted a link to that on my blog, and then I saw that you linked to it on facebook. I have a smartphone, so I don't think it's compatible. Sad. I'd love to try it out.

      Delete
  7. I wish zombies worked for me. Instead, my workout intensity is fueled by rage. Fortunately, I have in-laws to help me out with that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Now I kind want to make a clay you on a treadmill being followed by your clay in-laws.

      Delete
  8. Such a great post.

    I'll be sure to imagine zombies next time I am at the gym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works, I promise. Unless it doesn't. In which case I take no responsibility.

      Delete
  9. Love your zombies. Hey how was that zombie child (recent episode series one in Australia). How brave was that show to bring out a zombie child for everyone to hack to death?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which series is that? I do love a good zombie show...

      Delete
    2. Walking Dead...Series one...at the farm...the barn full of zombie neighbours...and family members...and the little girl came out last...and they had to shoot her.

      Delete
  10. Blog Hop Fun- Another terrific story- Zombie Zumba? Do they have that on DVD?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. But it's kind of annoying, since the music is drowned out by the screaming and the moaning.

      Delete
  11. This is awesome. I love the decapitated zombie scenes. If your friends come over and see those clay figures they are going to think you are crazy--in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think it's a good thing that I'm already married. Because I'm just picturing dating a guy, and then he comes over to my house, and then he sees that my office is full of clay zombies and animals. I mean...that's kind of weird, isn't it?

      Delete
  12. Stephanie,

    Thank you so much for writing a guest blog piece for me! This is epic! I am so excited to host a blogger of your unparalleled talent. Hey, I don't suppose there's any possible way you could get those zombies to chase the neighbor dog who poops in my yard? That would be putting them to very practical use in their off time when they are not getting in shape treadmilling with you.

    Thank you again! I am in bloggy paradise reading this awesome blog hop!

    xxo
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for inviting me over! :) Uh-oh. Zombie dogs. Those are scary.

      Delete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)