MOVarazzi

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

648. Triple Threat

Well, this has been a really great week for me. First, I came in third in an online writing contest over at trifecta (truth be told, I would rather type in “Third, I came in first,” but I will take what I can get). Next, my dear bloggy pal Tuna (that’s Mrs. Tuna to you) gave me a blog award called Versatile Blogger. I have no idea what this means, but I think it means I can type something up while my kids are screaming in the background and the macaroni and cheese is burning on the stove (does macaroni even burn? or does it just boil over? shows how much I cook …). And last but not least, Kirby over at Kirb Appeal (uh, you spelled curb wrong, hate to tell ya) gave me the Liebster award. Again, no idea what Liebster means, but I think it’s German for “Modern-Day Shakespeare.” Thank you, Kirby!

As you well know, I have been practicing my generic acceptance speech for just this sort of opportunity. But then I had The Husband read it over and he said, “Didn’t someone else kinda famous already use that line? The part about, ‘You like me, you really really like me’? I thought it was illegal to plasticize thing on the Blog Web.”

Stick with cooking, Sweetie, is what I wanted to say as I snatched the speech back out of his hand. Clearly he knows nothing about plasticizing or the Blog Web.

Anyway, thank you dear readers, for following my blog! I am grateful to you for reading this drivel I call “My Best Essays,” and I always have you forefront in my mind as I write (well, maybe secondfront right after the screaming kids).

In thanks, I am going to make up my own award to give to a few fellow bloggers I am crazy about. I toyed with calling it the “Good Karma” award or the “I Love Your Words” award, or even the “Positively Obsessing Over People” award (but the acronym on that last one was not so good), but ultimately I settled on the MOV award. Lest you think I am completely narcissistic naming it after myself, I must tell you what MOV stands for in this case: Moms Ordering Vino.

So, without further ado, the first ever MOV awards!  (And, to be like those way-trendy magazines that like to give everyone a catchy label, I am copying that idea too.) 
  • The Savant  A nod to the über-talented Mrs. Tuna, who only writes once a week, which is about six days too few.
  • The Girl Next Door A wave and a kiss to the awesome Kirb Appeal, who, if she lived next door to me or even in the same zip code would clearly be my new best friend.  (And by the way, she confesses that her personal goal is to get her Follower number up to 100.  She is currently at 78.  Come on, we just need 22 people!  Help her out!)
  • The Jokester  Marianne at We Band of Mothers. You will love her if you have not discovered her yet.  And if you already have discovered her and her bizarre Donny Osmond addiction, you know exactly what I am talking about.  (And she is strangely underappreciated ... another great blog with only 75 Followers.  Let's push her up to 100 also.)    
  • The Talent  Kelly at Southern Fried Children. I think Kelly is my clone (well, if only I was ten years younger and ten times prettier and ten times more talented at writing, then YES, Kelly and I would be the same person).
  • The Comedienne Haley's Comic. Talent is oozing out her pores. Check out her brilliant and hysterically funny drawings!
  • The Artist  Julie at Feeding The Cat. The type of girlfriend you would want to sit and drink coffee with for three hours. (Or tea.)
  • The Cool Girl  Mary at Just Inappropriate.  The type of friend your parents actively discouraged you from having when you were growing up, which is exactly why you like her and need her in your life.  She is not afraid to say what's on her mind.      
  • The Royal Gem  Mollie at OK in the UK.  Wow, can she write.  You will thank me later for this link.  Read some of her older pieces.  
  • The Rebel  Lily at The Incoherent Ramblings of a Moose.  She shocks me every time I read her writing.  In a good way.      
  • The Down-to-Earth Angel  Skwishee at Just A Mum.  Another mommy I can relate to.
  • The Outsider  And last but not least, Gweenbrick, who is not a Mom Ordering Vino, but totally could be if he was a woman. I mean this in a complimentary way, not a kooky cross-dressing Nathan Lane in Birdcage kind of way.  (But ol' gweenie already has, like, eleventy gazillion followers.  He might not have room for any more.)  
This is what you do to accept your MOV award. You link back, send me a million dollars, give the award to five other bloggers (or maybe two if you’re lazy) and answer one question: What made you write?

Here is my answer: I was running out of space to put the words in my brain, and someone recommended storing the words on random slips of paper. Wish I remember who it was so I could thank them (or shoot them).

MOV
(“Moms Ordering Vino”)

30 comments:

  1. Congrats! It's only Tuesday and you've accomplished so much! And, I must thank you for introducing me to Gweenbrick. I look forward to every post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily awards give me a wide berth (I almost wrote Wide Birth, not the same thing at all is it). Anyway I am always pleased about this as I try to stay at the edge of WHAT? well that and not being able to spell or type or make sense tends to help.

    Well done all round and keep up the good work and macaroni will burn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that: "Macaroni will burn." THAT might be the title of my next book. Keep 'em coming.........

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your awards! I think Leib is German for love, so Leibster award is like Loving award or Lover award? Either way you're loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me blush! Love is good (in any language)!

      Delete
  4. This is really a damn cool thing to say about me. You, you can sit by me. We'll braid each other's hair and link arms while walking down the aisles at Target.

    I like crisp, fruity Chilean whites. I'd not begrudge a nice 2007 Bordeaux, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that is *exactly* what I was hoping you would say. And I have a crisp, fruity Chilean sitting right here waiting for you. The wine however, that is another topic. I will ask Marco to run out and get us some.............

      Delete
  5. Oh My God! (this deserves the full spelling). I don't...what the...wow! I don't know what to say so 'thanks!' MOV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a million dollars though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no worries, julie! that was a typo. should not read "send me a million dollars," should read instead "send me a million DOLPHINS." Sorry for the confusion, and I hope you have not sent the money already.

      Delete
    2. the first one arrived today! YAY!!! I named him "Paisley" in your honor.............

      however, his trainer called and told me his name was really Dan (the dolphin, not the trainer) and that he has very good hearing (again, the dolphin) so he would recommend (the he in *this* case is the trainer) to resume calling him Dan or he was sure he wouldn't do any of his tricks. I stopped and thought, what would Julie do, what would Julie do, what is more important, silly tricks or having a super-cool name that I love and that honors my blog friend?

      Dan did a super-high flip this evening, think he topped it at about 15 feet.

      xxo
      MOV
      ps-I promise I will name the second dolphin Paisley if it's a girl

      Delete
  7. Woohoo! I'm the Comedienne! I'll try to do my title proud. Now I'm off to spend the next 12 hours deciding who else to nominate for this great honor...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Haley! (still miss the toothy picture.........)

      Delete
  8. I would first like to thank Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesus has been thanked. Next up, Elvis?

      Delete
  9. Yay! I can't wait to check these fab folks out! Btw...reading your book and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. andrea, so glad you like the book!!!!!!!!! Thank you!

      Delete
  10. You are nuts, except about the much younger part. ;) Thank you so much, it really is an honor to know someone I admire so much likes what I'm doing. And my answer to the question is the same as yours. Of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tell me I'm nuts when you win that writing award. then you'll be all, "who? MOV who?" Don't forget the little people (as marianne says)!!!!!!!

      Delete
  11. Yaay! I always wanted to be the rebel!

    Congrats to you MOV on your much deserved awards and thank-you for awarding me an award, which I find most rewarding!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, Lily, you were BORN the rebel! Ha! And you are most welcome. :)

      *but I still invented gauchos and pet rock, I don't care what Google or Wikepedia say

      Delete
  12. Dammit. I see thanking Jesus is already taken. And you did the Sally Fields thing. Julie already denied having a million dollars... Well. That will teach me not act right away on the Blog Webs, won't it?

    Seriously though, thank you. :) I like you too.

    Also? Apparently, a dolphin is like $900 (which seems pretty cheap to me), so I can't send you a million of those either. Plus, the shipping rate from Japan would be *brutal*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. story of my life, the shipping costs are what get ya......

      Delete
  13. Thanks for award.
    I have been ill but I hope to be up and running again soon, and I will get a post in with the award and whatnot.
    I always wanted to be the Outsider, but I was never that cool.
    Much more of the Perimeter Dork than the Outsider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! and if it makes you feel better, you are totally still the Outsider to me. :)

      ps--feel better soon, I hope my award did not make you sick? if it did, that was a totally unintended consequence.

      Delete
  14. Normally I would write something trite and witty.
    Why blog? People have always said I’m the funniest person they ever met. But I started this in the Spring 2010 as a way to honor and remember my mom who had died a few months before. In addition to a world class cook, she made me and my family everything we are today. Every time I blog, it’s a way to keep her with me everyday. Today would have been her 70th birthday. Miss you mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, tuna tuna tuna. Now you're gonna make me cry. Happy Birthday to Mama Tuna. She would be so proud of you.

      xxo
      MOV

      Delete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)