MOVarazzi

Thursday, January 12, 2012

628. The February Edition

I just received the latest issue of my favorite magazine, House Beautiful, or as I like to call it, House Lust. The February edition did not disappoint: page upon page of stunning makeovers, whispering, Hey, you could do that—if you just add a few more zeroes after that 22 cents in your savings account, you could totally do that.

What is it about “Before and After” that lures us in? I see the designs and I think, Well of course! Anyone would know to move that couch over there and paint that wall brown! It just makes sense. But to be honest, the couch did look okay near the window, and who doesn’t like the simplicity of white? The room actually looked okay before.

The great thing about designers is: they’re fearless. They have an unflappable confidence we mere mortals (or “homeowners,” in designer slang) don’t possess. The moment they graduate from Design School and have those business cards printed (“Amanda Josephine Phillips, Designer”), their confidence level automatically skyrockets.

Orange pillows? Sure, the designer said it looked good. Stain the hardwood floors black? Why not. Knock that wall down? Absolutely, it has to go. Paint the ceiling in the hallway lavender? Why had we never thought of that before. The point is, designers give us permission to release our inner whimsy.

The Husband got home from work early today. He took one look at the dining room filled with paint buckets, brushes, tarps, painter’s tape, and rollers, and groaned audibly. “Sweetie, turquoise stripes?!”

I told him it matched my Inner Whimsy.

MOV
(“Magenta Or Violet?”)

10 comments:

  1. The second I get a home I'm actually allowed to paint, I'm going crazy. Whimsy all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you say about designers giving "us" confidence is very true. I guess there may be something to feeling a sense of approval from someone who's gone to design school. I know that there are things designers do that I hate and would never, ever, in a million years do to my house. However, I like to look at before-and-after photos for inspiration. I've already picked my new living room and hall colors and just finished painting the dining room and kitchen to match. (This comes after a new kitchen floor and countertop -- long-awaited on both counts.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, I want to see pictures now! why do you not have a blog?

      Delete
  3. It's hard to think about decor when I have Berry Kix stuck to my socks. I commend your ambition!! Pics when you're done! (reposted as I misspelled "socks" as "sucks." But my socks do kind of suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe berry kix can be a new paint color name? I would totally buy it.........

      Delete
  4. I don't buy mags, but my partner knows if I've been to the doctor or dentist because I come home and do something really out there like rearrange the pictures on the wall...I'm not very confident with decor or dress and would love to break out of safe mode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have broken out beyond safe mode for home decor. However, clothing-- still in safe mode. If I had an unlimited clothing budget, maybe I would be a little bit braver.......

      Delete
  5. Magenta is actually a variation of Fuchia, both very difficult words to rhyme in songs. Magenta is also easier to say than Fuchia. I tend to stick to purple but I dont real magazines much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew there were so many variations of purple?!? and by the way, how does one get the job naming all the paint colors? I soooooo want that job.

      Delete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)