MOVarazzi

Thursday, January 12, 2012

627. That New Red Sweater

Yesterday, the UPS guy delivered a padded envelope containing a cute sweater that I bought from the Garnet Hill catalog. It was marked down from their after-Christmas sale, so it was practically free.  It’s red, cashmere, fitted, and has a boat-neck collar and ¾ length sleeves. It’s also magical, because I put it on and when I looked in the mirror, I swear I saw a 25-year-old version of myself standing there.

I went right to the closet and accessorized it with this kicky little silk scarf I have. I had bought it years ago from Nordstrom on sale, and had never really worn it. I tied it around my neck in the way those Parisian girls do.  The color palette was red and black against a white background, and the pattern looked like something Jackson Pollack might have come up with: aggressive streaks of color and bold use of haphazard lines and squiggles. The scarf and the sweater pretty much eloped the second they met.

I felt very smug about my new look. The new look needed to be shared with others. Luckily, Short was home.

I interrupted his crucial cartoon-watching to rake in a few compliments.

MOV: Short, Sweetie, do you notice anything different about Mommy?

Short: You’re blocking the TV.

MOV: (fumbling with remote control to freeze his show) There. Now take a look.

Short:

MOV: (beginning to strut like a supermodel on the catwalk) Well? Do you like it?

Short: Why are you walking that funny way?

MOV: Just look! The sweater! My new sweater. What do you think?

Short: It’s very stylish—it’s not right for you at all.



MOV

18 comments:

  1. ohhhh - I love your sweater, boat neck, red, cashmere, 3/4 sleeve, ticks all the boxes for me and I'm a scarf girl also. Does Short needs man lessons or what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to teach my sons the three words every girl wants to hear: "You look great!"

      Delete
  2. I got a new red sweater, and promptly returned it because it looked better on the hanger than on me. I am so glad you pulled yours together wel! A scarf too? You are stylish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I bought your returned sweater? it did smell like gardenia perfume, so thank you for that. :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like one of my sons and they're all grown.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everytime (well, 7 out of 9) I hear the word sweater I remember that that my brand new wife of several decades ago destroyed my dry-clean-only beautiful favorite thing on earth maroon-cranberry-ish sweater. I never forgave her. And I don't plan to either. Everything else in life I almost constantly pardon her for graciously, and remember I live in the state of Executioner Rick Perry the Governor. But I save the sweater story for certain moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, we all have stories in the back of the closet reserved for certain times........

      Delete
  5. I think you look wonderful! And it might be a better idea to ask us rather than Short....just something to consider.

    Thanks for the giggles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite part--"Short: Why are you walking that funny way?" I hope you were being "fierce" and doing your best Tyra Banks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the sad thing is: my normal walk is fierce.

      Delete
  7. Short and Kee would get along stunningly. I just love it when she tells me my ass is huge. Although, she says "squishy", like she thinks its a good thing...

    (The sweater sounds lovely. If they happen to send you one in moss green by mistake, I'll take it off your hands.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they were all out of moss green. booooo.

      Delete
  8. Poor MOV. I feel your pain. When Danny was 2 years old and I came downstairs in a new outfit, he pointed his sticky little finger at me and asked, "what's THIS all about?" We need girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just hoping my future daughter-in-laws will be up for the challenge!

      Delete
  9. Same reaction I got tonight when inquiring if they wanted to talk about my new shellac nails or my LL Bean boots that rocked the snow today. Smirks abound and Bruins talk continues. I'm certain your sweater was fab-u-lous. Garnet Hill is the bomb Mov!

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)