MOVarazzi

Thursday, January 5, 2012

622. That Time I Did A Nice Thing

When I lived in San Francisco, I rented a room from a woman I’ll call Dorothy. Dorothy was a cliché, a white-haired elderly widow who lived alone (except for me and another tenant, a pilot, whom I heard about but never met). Dorothy had arthritis, a three-bedroom house near the airport, and a wobbly cat named Cinders. He was 22 years old, which is about a thousand in cat years. Even Cinders knew he was old, he was careful with every feeble step he took, sensing that it might be his last.

Most mornings, I would walk into the pink and gray tiled bathroom and Cinders would be up against the radiator behind the door, like a stray fabric softener sheet that got caught in your shirt, just clinging there. “Hello Cinders,” I would greet him. Even though he had patchy gray fur, jagged Dracula teeth, and had hissed at me before, I wasn’t scared of him. He was harmless.  Being scared of skinny little Cinders would be like being scared of a jelly bean.

Which brings me to my next topic: Dorothy’s only son, whom she talked about non-stop, was a top executive with Jelly Belly. The way she spoke, I assumed he was the inventor of jelly beans or at the very least, the president of the company. She was constantly receiving Fed-Ex care packages from him with experimental Jelly Belly flavors—tomato, chocolate marshmallow, mandarin orange, chocolate with lavender, popcorn, summer love (summer love tasted like birthday cake and Pepsi).

Dorothy had long ago tired of eating jelly beans (her son had worked for the company for over three decades), yet she could not bring herself to tell him to stop sending them to her.  She liked receiving these miniature purple and yellow and orange pieces of love in the mail, she just didn't want them stuck in her dentures every day.  Instead, Dorothy and I would perform a subconscious dance, a sugar-filled dance with me politely rejecting the jelly beans.  The dance would go like this: 

Dorothy: (knocking loudly on my door and then gasping when noticing two dozen “fun size” KitKat wrappers on the floor) MOV, I know you have a sweet tooth. Do you want this 10-pound bag of the new Spring Flavor Launch of Jelly Belly candies that President just sent me?

Me: No, no. That’s okay. Thank you anyway.

Dorothy: (brief pause while searching for non-offensive words) Well, uh, you can give them to your other stewardess friends who—

Me:  SURE!

Cinders would wander into the room about this time. He would act like he might jump up on my bed (cock head to side, calculate distance, shuffle back paws), but ultimately he would wither down where he stood, as if to say, “This is good enough. The KitKat wrappers don’t bother me that much. Maybe we could make a blanket out of them.”

As a hobby, I liked to paint ceramics. One day, I had the idea to paint a food bowl for Cinders. I thought about what to paint (fish, mice, a portrait of Cinders) and then came up with the perfect theme: Jelly Bellys. It was cute, it was thoughtful, and let’s face it: painting little globs of paint to look like multi-colored jelly beans does not require the artistic talent of Matisse or Renoir.

I gave the finished bowl to Dorothy, who made a big production of giving the bowl to Cinders in front of me. “Lookie what MOVee painted for you, Cinders! Oh, I see, those are Jelly Belly candies! Aren’t you a lucky kitty? Do you just love MOV so much?”

My heart smiled to think I made an old lady and an old cat happy for a few minutes. But at this point in Dorothy’s speech, it occurred to me that she might expect me to demonstrate my love and affection for her sickly cat by petting him or worse:  picking him up. If I picked up Cinders, he would break.

I leaned down to pet him (there was no way out of it, and hadn’t I brought this on myself by painting the bowl in the first place?) and I petted a skeleton of a cat. Not even a skeleton, a line drawing of a skeleton of a cat. In faded pencil.

I could feel something shaking under my hand. The cat was purring for the first time. But it wasn’t so much a purr as a sputter.

Please don’t die, I thought, please live long enough to eat one or two meals out of your new Jelly Belly bowl.

It was not to be. Cinders died the next week, having gone on a hunger strike shortly after the new Jelly Belly bowl replaced the blue plastic one from Wal-Mart.

The vet told Dorothy that sometimes cats of a “certain age” will starve themselves because they know the end is near. I blame myself, though, for painting that damn bowl.  Cinders was a simple cat who took comfort in the familiar, the predictable, and the routine; the abrupt change of food bowl must have been too much for his delicate system. 

I haven’t thought about this story in years, until today. The Husband (who knows nothing about my days with Dorothy and Cinders in San Francisco) gave me a small bag of cinnamon candy hearts. From Jelly Belly.

MOV 
("Mandarin Orange Variation")

16 comments:

  1. As a crazy cat lady myself, I think I find this slightly more moving than was intended. My heart goes out to Cinders. You probably did not kill him, though. Maybe he just loved the bowl so much, he couldn't stand the thought of defiling it by eating out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You killed a cat?!?!? With fresh art? Wow, but I wouldn't put that in your resume, unless that particular skill is necessary in your new job. I am reminded of that George Clooney movie, "The Men Who Stare At Goats".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm best left to keep my comments to myself. You know how I feel about pets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, MOV! Did you miss me? Yeah, don't answer that. Been away for awhile so I haven't left any inane comments.

    I thought this post was super sweet. Our best friends just lost their beloved dog on New Year's Eve so I guess this hits home. There was no art involved, however.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's actually a Life Rule that you cannot kill an old cat with a new bowl. *hand to my heart* Swear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. do you suppose our snake would like a bowl like this to drink/bathe from? you really are too sweet! even back then! ;o)

    be blessed,

    tera

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s cats for you fickle to the end. Still it could have been a lot worse image if you had painted a plate for Dorothy. She would now be Dorothy La-NO-mour

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully no lead paint was involved....

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should change your pageview thing to 'number of frogs that live in Taki's yard in the spring (half):'. It would be incredibly accurate!

    Actually, 28 is 1000 is cat years. Cinders was only like, 70-ish in our reckoning at 22. I think. But once you hit 28, that one day between 27 364 days and 28 0 days turns into like, 920 years. Woa.

    -Motaki, Aspiring Falconer and Frog/Toad Lover (I pick them up. And catch them. Repeatedly. xD)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was about to pick up my painting brushes, but am pondering whether or not my dog might keel over:)

    P.S. You book is so funny, I got one for my sister and one for me for Christmas. The gift of laughter, well needed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gawd, my SOB (significant other being) has a saying, 'No good deed goes unpunished'...great story

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your elite members-only bowl confused his budget Walmart brain so much that he died. hahahahahaha ohhhhhh life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Lord, Now every time I see Jelly Belly's I'll think of dead cats...and then laugh ; ) Love the story, popped thru from Mrs. Tuna and I'm glad to find you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would try to think of a decent comment, but am too overwhelmed by the thought of getting handed a ten pound bag of Jelly Belly Beans!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. to all--this blog post was so much fun to write. thanks for all the great comments!!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)