MOVarazzi

Friday, December 2, 2011

590. Special Holiday Recipe--Easy!

I know I don’t usually do this here in my blog, give recipes, but I will make an exception. But first, a story.

Every holiday season at the high-end kitchen store we bake cookies for samples. Lots of cookies. We might do a batch from a mix, but often we will do a recipe borrowed from some famous celebrity’s cookbook so we can sell more of the books. I walked into work at 9 AM last Sunday, and The Boss stood there grinning at me.

I had known her for almost four years. She was a great boss, organized, dedicated, motivated … but she was not a grinner. This could only mean one thing: her beloved dog had just had eight puppies and she needed me to take one, or she wanted me to make sugar cookies.

Her dog is a male.

I got right to work with the simple recipe, mixing the ingredients which were all stored in clear airtight containers, then rolling out the dough and stamping out different designs: stars, trees, sleds, snowmen. Next, I baked the cookies. When they were done and cooled, I decorated them with a tiny bit of icing or sprinkles so you could still taste the cookie itself.

Being 9:45 in the morning, I myself was not in a cookie mood just yet, so I did not try any. But judging by the look on people’s faces as they bit into them, no one was in a cookie mood. We did not sell a single book, and later I found half-eaten remnants of my cookies throughout the store, as if customers had spit them out.

I kept meaning to try one, but then I had a steady stream of customers and couldn’t. Finally, my co-worker Deidre put more of my cookie samples out when I was stuck at the register ringing up customers.

I looked at the clock: 2:30. There was one cookie left, so I popped it in my mouth. I gagged at the taste.

It is a very basic recipe. Just mix the ingredients together to make the cookie dough and then roll it out. Here are the ingredients in case you want to replicate it:
  • 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 ½ cups white sugar (or feel free to substitute salt, like I did)
MOV
(“Master Of Vanilla”)

12 comments:

  1. Oh no! This is especially funny since I JUST made sugar cookies, using this exact recipe. And sugar. They are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, what a nice heart-healthy version you made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Down with sugar cookies! Troublemakers.

    Makes you wonder why on earth not a single customer spoke up though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no way! Dang, that is amazingly bad luck. Why in the world didn't anyone say anything? Maybe you should have passed them off as tree ornaments -- you know the kind made from dough that you paint and aren't supposed to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kelly--thanks once again for showing me how you southern people do everything just a little bit classier than the rest of us.

    andrea--see? I agree! (and I was wondering why everyone was so thirsty!)

    kait and couse-- yes, xmas ornaments would have been better. And I need to 'fess up that I left out the part where they complained about the free samples tasting bad. You see, our customers are very picky and just like to complain about anything, so I took it with (ahem) a grain of salt and ignored it. oops.

    best,
    MOV
    ps--so I guess "the customer is always right" does hold true in this case

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor you.
    -hug-
    On the plus side I might get to go to my first falconry field meet on the tenth. celebrate my fortune!
    -Motaki, Aspiring Falconer

    ReplyDelete
  7. taki--thank you for the sugar-free cyber hug. And as for your upcoming falcon field meet, I am celebrating right now for you! awesome!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe all they needed was vinegar frosting!
    -L-

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guessed salt-sugar-switch early in the story. I am surprised no one complained.

    Today's wordveri: turnadd - seems appropriate

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did this one time - but instead of salt I used a lemonade mix - not on purpose of course - and you might think it would taste good - it did not. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome. And my kids still would have eaten them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is why I always taste my cookies before anyone else gets one. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. ;)

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)