MOVarazzi

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

560. That's What You Get

This is a secondhand story, but I gotta tell it.

This guy The Husband works with, Mick, was invited to a wedding last weekend. That’s right, Halloween weekend. Mick and about seven of his buddies thought it would be hilarious to go to the wedding in costume, as a fun little Halloween surprise.

Some sane people talked Mick and crew out of it, stuff about “ruining the bride’s big day,” blah blah blah. Mick compromised with the sane people: No costumes for the church wedding, nor the sit-down dinner, nor even the cake. Mick and company decided they would be dressed nicely for all the important Kodak moments, and after the first dance, they would disappear to don their special attire.

Mick was Gumby. His pal was a giant banana. The other six came as penguins. They happened to walk out right when a slow song came on. What could they do? The penguins paired off, and Gumby and the giant banana danced together, cheek to, uh, peel.

The bride thought it was the funniest thing she’s ever seen, the groom did not. After another few songs, he approached Gumby and told him to leave. Gumby and the rest of the costumed people left immediately (the party was winding down by this point) so as not to upset the groom further.

Now get this: Gumby and his clan went to a nearby bar to continue their own festivities (it was, after all, the Saturday night before Halloween) and who should arrive there a short while later but the bride and groom!

The groom immediately approached Mick and told him to “stop ruining” his wedding, to which Mick replied, “Dude, your wedding is over, it’s your wedding night, and what the heck are you doing here in this bar anyway?”

When The Husband told me all this, I thought:  Well, when you plan your wedding right by Halloween, you might just get a guest named Gumby.

MOV

6 comments:

  1. Sheesh. Groom with no sense of humor and a weird idea of a honeymoon. Good luck to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! How does a groom get his tighty whities in a bunch when his wife his laughing?! He must have childhood Halloween scars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. couse, andrea, when The Husband told me the story, I was totally waiting for the bride to lose it. And then I asked The Husband if Mick was friends with the bride or groom: GROOM! I try to think how I would have felt if this had been my wedding, and I think it would be ok after the first dance. Kind of makes the wedding more memorable, huh? (and seriously? Halloween? what do you expect!)

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I think it would be fun to have a Halloween-themed wedding. Wouldn't that be a great party? Your ceremony could be "serious" and noncostumed, whereas your reception could be a blast! Costumes, candy corn, pumpkins -- foods made from candy corn and pumpkins -- wedding cake decorated with candy corn and pumpkins...

    (I promise I'm not really obsessed with candy corn and pumpkins -- just going with a theme.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were married on October 28 and no one pulled any Halloween shenanigans. But driving to the hotel after the wedding, many people thought I was dressed up for Halloween, and not an actual bride.

    I think Gumby and company was funny and I would have loved if they showed up at my wedding during the dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. couse--I'm with you!

    Anonymous--Happy Anniversary! and who does not like a little Gumby now and then?

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)