MOVarazzi

Saturday, October 1, 2011

528. If You Are Buying 50 Renuzits, Are You A Serial Killer?

There I am at Target, my favorite store of the universe (sorry, Betsey Johnson). I am perusing the myriad choices of laundry detergent. It is 8 AM, and the only people in the store are me and the dozen or so red-and-khaki-clad Target employees, so imagine my dismay when another customer finds his way into the cleaning products aisle at the precise moment I am there.

I don’t care what other people buy, as long as they are not buying the last bag of Mint Milanos before I get a chance to grab it. I needn’t have worried about my precious Mint Milanos, as the customer in question is buying out Target’s back-up supply of bleach and Renuzit.

Truly. Why would I make this up? His cart has nothing else in it, no cute Missoni rain-boots, no slick magazine on kitchen d├ęcor, no coffee filters. He is methodically filling his cart with Renuzits, one by one, almost a pyramid formation.

Let me tell you about this so-called customer. Grunge for him is not so much a fashion statement as a default lifestyle. He is wearing baggy jeans with holes, and a stained t-shirt. His cheap plastic glasses are held together with duct tape and a prayer. He appears to be in his late 50’s, early 60’s. He has not shaved in at least a week, and his greasy hair would impress an Elvis impersonator. (He is super-skinny, and for a very brief moment I deduce that he thinks Renuzits are food.)  This guy would be especially scary in a dark alley at 3 AM, but even in the harsh neon lighting of 8 AM Target, he is giving me the creeps.

I find myself staring at his cart, full of Renuzits and getting fuller by the second. He is crouched on the floor so he can find all the ones on the bottom shelves. What is with all those Renuzits?!? I have never bought even one Renuzit (let alone enough for my zip code) as I am not exactly clear on what they do, except make things smell (artificially) good.

Does he have some coupons? Do the coupons say that he must buy out the store's entire stock of Renuzits or the coupons are void?

Does he own, say, 100 cats? Dead, decomposing cats that he needs to bury and in the meantime hide the dead-decomposing-cat-smell from his neighbors and quite possibly the police?

IS HE A SERIAL KILLER? Is this how serial killers spend their time when they are not serial killing, they buy Renuzits at Target in bulk to cover up their crime(s)?

I try to think of an innocent explanation for ten large bottles of bleach and enough Renuzits for a professional football team’s locker room (for the next couple of seasons). I can think of no other reason than the killing spree. 

I slink away from the suspected killer, not wanting to focus any undue attention on myself from him. 

Maybe there should be a law, like a waiting period or something (like with guns), or a maximum number of Renuzits a person could buy at once. Four would be acceptable. Four hundred would not.

Today’s blog doesn’t have that cutesy little ending or punch line. I just want to warn you to beware of creepy guys buying too many Renuzits.

MOV

8 comments:

  1. That really IS creepy... And I was seriously thinking "cats" before I even got to that part in the post. But not "dead, decomposing cats". That is a whole 'nother dimension. Freaky deaky man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creepy. But, I can't really say too much, as I have bought thirty or forty of those things at one point. I had an excuse, though! Moved into an old building, and couldn't get the smells out. Maybe that's his excuse? Can't explain the bleach, though....

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH. MY. GOD. HE IS USING THE BLEACH TO CLEAN UP THE BLOOD STAINS. OH. MY. GOD. YOU ARE SO FUCKED IF THIS GUY LIVES WITHIN TEN MILES OF YOU.

    -Taki, Aspiring Falconer and MOV-ee Safety Concerned

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously a serial killer or running a meth lab!
    -L-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being British, (please don't boo me...or chuck rocks at my head) I had no clue as to what exactly Renuzits were.

    After Googling it however, I have come to the conclusion that this man lives at home with his mother, who just so happens to be dead, in a hotel (and you know how smelly those places can be, which explains the Renuzits) and goes by the name of Norman.

    Fantastically funny blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori E., Anonymous, Taki, L, See? He is obviously a serial killer or scary druggie guy. If they find him and his stash of corpses, I wonder if I will be called on as a witness of his "unusual behavior" and shopping patterns.......

    lily, welcome to my blog! We do love your kind here, the kind with the FABULOUS accents. Even though it is just words on a screen, I am imagining a wonderful British accent (like the Queen of England or like Wallace and Grommit, I am not particular) and everything is elevated. Just. A. Bit. By the way, I checked out your blog and it looks waaaay cool (I especially like your description/ heading for your followers). Thanks for reading, and please stay a while and read some more!!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  7. The whole time I've been reading this, I have been thinking "drug manufacturing" ESPECIALLY after your description of the man. *shudders* so creepy either way

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amelia, seriously, huh?!? makes me shudder too.

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)