MOVarazzi

Thursday, September 15, 2011

513. The Ultimate Recycler

Talk turns, as often does, to recycling. The Husband and I are discussing our final final (as in final) wishes, and I state clearly (which negates any Will I may or may not have written at a previous time): You may put my ashes in a Baskin-Robbins container.

The Husband, as has been known to do in the past, laughs when I am being serious. (And the equally cruel if not more cruel corollary: Does not laugh when I am joking.) Why does he not believe/ not-want-to-carry-out my final wishes? Have you seen the urn choices available lately? They are not pretty.

I thought for a long long time (okay, six seconds) about what type of container would be appropriate for my Queen Virgo ashes. (Appropriate answer: none.) Then I thought, Aha! A Haagen-Dazs container! However, upon going to the freezer and inspecting the plethora of Haagen Dazs (and let me interject by saying that when I was younger I thought it was “Hog and Dots”) containers littering the landscape of our otherwise uninhabited freezer, it became painfully clear to me that Haagen Dazs not only makes delicious ice-cream, they also care about the environment and make their containers out of flimsy biodegradable paper.

Hence, the upgrade in urn materials (plastic) and the downgrade in ice-cream (Baskin-Robbins).

Before you email me saying how Baskin-Robbins is waaaaaaaaaay better than any other kind (and you are absolutely right about mint-chip), please remember that my ashes will not be in there for all eternity: I want my family members to sprinkle (read: fling while trying to make sure the wind does not blow my ashes back onto unfortunate family members or funeral director whom I have never met but who will run the funeral saying things like, “All who knew her loved her,” and “She was a really hard worker,” while all my former co-workers from the high-end kitchen store snicker) my ashes into the water (lake, ocean, river, tributary, whatever) while they run through a slide show of my (fabulous, yet tragically cut short at the tender age of 98) life.

So you see, I (or “The Ashes of MOV”) won’t actually be in the Baskin-Robbins pint container very long.

I hear laughing. Maybe my full-sized bones are not quite tiny enough for a pint. Maybe a quart might be suitable. (I heard you again! Stop saying “gallon”!)

So. On the ship. Queen Mary, Cunard, Crystal Cruises. Throwing ashes overboard from the Baskin-Robbins container.

It is fitting, isn’t it? Considering how much I love love love love love love love love love love did I mention love ice cream. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

So that’s it for today. It wasn’t meant to be funny. It was just meant to save The Husband $119.00 on a stupid urn he doesn’t even want so he could make better use of that money at the roulette wheel on the cruise.

MOV
P.S. Not a paid advertisement by Haagen Dazs. Or Baskin-Robbins.

5 comments:

  1. OH. MY. GOD.
    without reading this i just wanna slap on the first comment because i was here the moment it was published, in an Orange Shirt, NATCH.
    -Pincushion Motaki (still sore)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Secondary after-reading compliment:
    Maybe you could convince Baskin-Robbin's to make your ashes INTO a quart of icecream. Wait, no. that's gross. Scratch that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Around here, it would have to be Blue Bell. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Motaki, I admire your dedication. and your orange shirt. :) and your use of the uber-cool word: natch, natch.

    as for comment number 2, how about a tribute to all my favorite flavors? it could be called "MOV-stravaganza" or "MOV-delite" or some such. It would be layers of mint chip, interspersed with layers of coffee (Starbucks) and layers of vodka (Absolut). Oh, I can just HEAR the royalty checks pouring in right now!

    Le'Ann, what is this Blue Bell of which you speak? do they stock good ol' chocolate?

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blue Bell is a little creamery located in Brenham, Texas, and they make the most amazing ice cream. It's only available in Texas (and maybe parts of Oklahoma) and is the reason that I would never want to live anywhere else. :)

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)