MOVarazzi

Sunday, September 11, 2011

507. September 11

I was a flight attendant for United Airlines. I could have been on those planes, but that particular day, I happened to be off.

We all know what happened. We watched it unfold with horror in our living rooms. We clogged up phone lines trying to make contact with friends in New York or Washington, D.C. We desperately read every shred of news we could get our hands on in the days that followed.

I went back to work, to the airport, suspicious of everyone, suddenly envious of ground personnel like gate agents because they got to stay on, well, the ground. Our pre-flight crew briefings changed. The captain now included special instructions about shifting beverage carts to block the cockpit area if a pilot needed to use the restroom. The danger level of flying might have been a Code Orange, but I constantly felt my personal meter read Code Red.

To all the people who were harmed, directly or indirectly, my heart goes out to you. We will remember the victims, and we will remember the heroes.

MOV

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful and moving post. It's hard to believe it's been ten years already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ashley. I can't believe how quickly these past years have gone by. Watching all the replays of it on TV lately have hit me just as hard as that morning.

    I really commend you for being brave enough to continue with your job afterward. I don't know if I would have been able to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, it was hard to write this without choking up. that day is fresh in my mind, like it happened yesterday and not a decade ago.

    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  4. My next door neighbor is also a flight attendant for United and it is mind boggling to me that you both could fly after 9-11. My hat is off to both of you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you lori (I kept flying for about 5 more years after that).

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)