MOVarazzi

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

497. How Do You Know That?

So there we are at the toy store when I spot my friend Sandra. Even though we live mere blocks from one another, I have not seen her nor spoken to her since the end of school three months ago. “How goes the job hunt, MOV?” she chirps.

Wait—how do you know about that? I was (am) happily employed by the high-end kitchen store the last time I saw you at a mutual friend’s backyard barbeque in June, a new job was not even on my radar. I start to flip through my mental Rolodex to find people we know in common, people that might be gossipy enough to announce to Sandra my plans to find a new job during school hours. Would Sammi tell her? Why would she care? How about Jessica? Who have I told? Laura? Wendy? Who could I have possibly told?

Oh wait … blog about interview, come back and read later

Sandra must have read my blog.

It is a strange strange world where strangers know your innermost thoughts and feeling that you have recorded for all posterity in a daily diary in cyberspace … it is even stranger when it is not a stranger, but a friend. Sandra knows about my job hunt! She must know I picked up the wrong cake for Short’s birthday! She must know about my special needs passenger from my flight attendant days, the one I forced to walk into low-hanging TV screens repeatedly! That I think I can speak Spanish! That Short thinks he’s adopted! That Tall thinks he’s a pro-soccer player! That we painted our last kitchen neon blue! That I forced Oakley’s ex-boyfriend to buy her jellybeans even though they make her sick!

Sandra knows everything!

We chat for a minute about the weather, about school starting up, about fading tans and reduced pool hours. She turns to leave, and I call out,

“I’m so sorry about your leg injury during your vacation and how you can’t compete now in the marathon!”

I read Sandra’s blog, too:  click here to be magically transported to her funny blog 

MOV

6 comments:

  1. On The Road Again,

    thank you! don't you feel that way sometimes as a fellow blogger?!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post struck a chord with me today. People I rarely see are also asking me questions out of nowhere about my dog's feet or about my little grandma, and it often takes a minute for the fact they're reading all about my odd little life on my blog to register.

    I guess there is only so much anonymity, huh? It makes me extra careful about what I share on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is why my blog is secret. And I still have to filter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog and as a fellow mother of brothers have been enjoying your writings immensely. New as I am to the blog culture I have been curious about this particular topic. How does one deal with people they know reading and learning their thoughts? How much do you find yourself editing what you write about your parents, spouse, kid's teachers, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the comments, bluespeckledpup and nora!

    grey squirrel notes, welcome! Yes, it is a bit tricky. I do write everything under fake names (what?!? my sons are NOT named Tall and Short?!) so that helps some. I just try to write about what I want and not worry too much. If I 100% know that a specific thing would hurt/ or upset someone close to me, I do not write it. I value the relationship more than I value the entertainment possibility of my blog. Does that make sense?

    Good luck with your new blog! I look forward to reading what you write (and I have only been at it for a year and a half, but it has become a happy habit for me).

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)