MOVarazzi

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

493. My New Career

So I applied for some jobs recently. Jobs working at banks. However, I realized that working at a bank might involve actual work. Ugh. I decided to apply to some hotels instead.

My hotel job interview went quite well. They asked several hotelish questions, like “Have you ever stayed in a hotel before?” Duh! Did they not even read my resume?! Of course I stayed in hotels, I was a flight attendant. I am reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally good at staying in hotels, the expensiver, the better.

My job at this particular hotel would be primarily answering the phone and taking reservations. The ad said, “Phone operator/ reservation agent.” Obviously, that is not what I want to do for the rest of my life: I am a college graduate, plus I have mucho experiencia and plus I am even bilingualo. I told them I would take the job, as long as I could change my job title. They hesitated, but then (out of curiosity?) asked what job title I would prefer. I told them: General Manager.

They had the nerve to say that that particular job was already taken, and the person doing that job was doing quite well at it and (furthermore) had no intention of leaving (!). Blah blah blah, who cares? I don’t actually want the job of GM, I just want the title.  It would sound nice at parties (“Yes, I am the General Manager at Fancy Schmancy Hotel.  You have permission to talk to me.”)

They said they had to get back to a few (hundred) other applicants, but they would let me know very soon.

That’s okay, I can wait.

MOV
("Marriott Or Viceroy?")

4 comments:

  1. No, no, no, no, no. My best friend got a job as a maid in a small motel in northern Michigan. She figured she could make beds for a few hours and have a few bucks. She just wanted a mindless job. She ended up almost running the Spawn of the Devil motel and almost lost her mind with all the petty gossip, they are like small cities. From then on the only job she was offered was night auditor in hotels and that is the worst job in the hotel industry.

    And all the hotels and motels are haunted. Either by the spirits of the Bates motel or lovely ladies of the evening and their consorts.

    I want to work in a high end jewelry store, then I can pretend I own all the pretties. Although I do recall when I worked in the auto industry I still had to buy my own vehicles. Shucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nola, thank you for the good idea. I actually did work in a jewelry store for about a year, so I have a funny story for that and I am posting it for my next blog. :)

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the job search! At the very least you'll end up with lots of great fodder for your site. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you, teatimewithmandy!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)