MOVarazzi

Thursday, June 16, 2011

440. Thank You, No, Thank YOU

Thank you notes have always been my forte. Growing up, the importance of writing a prompt and sincere thank you was poured into my brain (politely) by not just my mother, but also my grandmother, and my step-mother Nichole. (Nichole has been known to keep extra thank you notes and a sheet of stamps in the glove compartment so she can write them on the way home from the event. “That way all the details are still fresh in my mind,” she chirps). Apparently, I have triple the genetics of a normal person on my side enforcing the Thank You Code.

So it came as somewhat of a surprise when my friend Sandy tried to out-thank you me.

I threw a party last week. It was outside on our back patio and it spilled into the yard. It was a huge success: the guests all had a great time, the food was fabulous, the d├ęcor was nice, and the weather cooperated. In a word: perfection.

Imagine my reaction when I opened my mailbox the very next day and saw a stamped thank you note from Sandy sitting there.

Did I mention it was the very next day?

What did she do, mail the card the day before the event even happened (hoping/ praying/ guessing that the party would be fun, and that it would not be canceled for any reason)?

Here is the lovely note in Sandy’s lovely script:

See? Perfect. That perfect Sandy is giving me a complex.

Not to worry, though. I sent her a quick little follow up note:

I am waiting by the mailbox for her thank you of my you’re welcome letter.

MOV

4 comments:

  1. MOV your anonymoty is KILLING me. I have tried to post comments on the last 4 of your blogs and they A. Never show up or B. kick me off google and don't show up. I tried to find your contact info but you have none!

    I WANT to read the one about your road rage. I want to see the companion blog and I am still your cyber-pal. I read your blog everyday and I'm so happy you liked mine. So stop being famous and snobby and post the one about your road rage. If this comment ever shows up.

    Mary (www.justinappropriate.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, that note would have arrived last Wednesday if not for my incorrect postage so it came back and then I had to go all the way to the post office to get the correct postage and then the carrier pigeon was too tired and the slow boat sunk and you get the picture. Thanks for the thanks! Thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, Mary, it's back up! :)

    MOV
    by the way, I am not famous nor snobby, I am part of the Witness Protection Program. Seriously.

    Okay, not seriously. But that would be funny if I was, huh? Maybe that is a topic for a new blog post........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the thank you for the thank you and mentioning me in your blog. Love always, Nichole

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)