MOVarazzi

Monday, May 9, 2011

403. Pull A Wallis

The Husband and I sat down and enjoyed our latest obsession last night (Netflix). Netflix had kindly sent us the next movie in our queue, which happened to be “The King’s Speech.” We were impressed with the writing and the acting, and Colin Firth clearly deserved that Oscar he won.

But I don’t want to talk about King George VI; I want to talk about Wallis Simpson.

So Edward abdicated the throne for her? Really? Why? The movie did not portray the twice-divorced Wallis in a favorable light. Can you imagine what kind of passion Edward must have felt for her to walk away from the seat of such power and authority?

I asked The Husband if he would give up being king to marry me. He set down his ice-cream bowl, laughed and said,

“Don’t be silly. Of course not.”

I was a bit taken aback. Of course not?

He elaborated. “Don’t take it the wrong way, hon, I mean it in a nice way.”

“Fine,” I offered, “if I was queen, I wouldn’t trade that in to be with you either.”

He shrugged, then popped the completed movie out of the DVD player.

Somehow my grand retaliation statement was not having quite the impact I was hoping for.

“Wait,” I said, rewinding our conversation, “how is that a ‘nice’ way?”

“I would do what the country expected of me. Which means not taking up with a married woman in the first place.”

Ah, this was good. This I could understand and respect. He didn’t want to cause heartache for—

“… besides, Wallis was not even very attractive!”

“So you’re saying if she looked like Kate Hudson, then you’d give up the throne for her?”

“No. No throne-giving-up. Maybe I would buy her a drink, or a country house. But I earned that throne.” He licked that last bit of hot fudge off his spoon.

“Huh? You were born into royalty and now you’re delusional enough to say you earned it? What does that even mean?”

“Because I had to live my entire life under the microscope with everyone telling me what to do all the time. That’s a lot of pressure. If I had to live like that constantly, then I think I’ve earned the right to be king and not have some little hussy come along and make me lose everything. Plus, didn’t she end up cheating on Edward anyway?”

“Yes.”

“Well, there you go. She wasn’t actually worth giving up the throne for in that case, was she?”

Nevertheless, I am still awed by Wallis’s perseverance and charm in making the prince fall in love with her. She had a plan, and she managed to pull it off. From everything I’ve read about her, the prince was smitten with her and would do anything she asked.

“Okay, so you won’t give up the throne for me, but will you get me another scoop of ice-cream?” I asked, handing him my bowl. I smiled sweetly, then blinked my eyes a few times in a faux-flirtatious manner for good measure.

“That I can do.” He took my empty bowl and went into the kitchen. See? Any woman can pull a Wallis.

MOV

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely fantastic!
    Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for your kind words. :)
    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)