MOVarazzi

Thursday, March 3, 2011

348. Project Blog

So I’d like to be serious for a moment and tell you about my project. Last summer, I was mentioning to one of my co-friends at the high-end kitchen store that I really need an outlet for my crazy little writing ideas and quirky stories. She suggested I start a blog.

Instead of being grateful for her fantastic suggestion, I laughed. It was sort of a multi-tiered nervous laugh because I am a huuuuuuuuge technophobe and there was no way on Earth I could start a blog. Sure, I love to write, but blogs were for really smart people who knew how to do computery things, things like program their cell phones and TiVo machines correctly. I’m lucky I can figure out the coffee maker.

But co-friend pushed, and then she said those fateful words, “It’s easy.” (I recall other friends uttering those identical words about parenthood. Other friends with no children themselves.) Like all things that are “supposed” to be easy, it was a mix of easy and not-so-easy. The writing part was easy (I love to write! Almost as much as I love to shop or eat chocolate, or shop for chocolate.). However, the part that was not-so-easy was the marketing aspect. How do you let the world know about your little blog? Heck if I know. (I still don’tany tips, please, dear readers?)

I started out with about two followers (hi Mom!) and some reluctant non-followers (direct quote from The Husband: “Are you really going to do this? Do I have to read it? What if I don’t want to—is that going to cause a fight?”). Now, I am up to 119 followers (thank you!!!) in only 10 months. Not too bad for absolutely zero advertising and only word of mouth exposure.  (I don't even know 119 people!  Only 75 people even showed up to my wedding.)

So, to let you know about the rest of my project:  I thought I would challenge myself to write one blog per day for 365 days. I started on June 1, 2010, and my goal was to complete the experiment on June 1, 2011. As of today, I have written 347 blogs. I am only 20 posts away from my goal, and I still have the luxury of almost three months! (I know what you’re thinking: overachiever. Yes, it’s true.)

Some of the blogs have been good. Some have been, uh, so-so (ones from my early days spring to mind).  A few have been hysterically funny, so funny, in fact, that I laughed as I typed them. My goal is to make these next 20 that kind of funny.

I have learned a lot from writing in this space. Mostly I’ve learned that I love it, and I have no plans to quit.  Another thing I've learned is how much I value my audience's feedback.  I adore reading your comments!  Keep 'em coming!  And rest assured, when that writing odometer flips over to the magical 365 number, I will continue to post (I might drop down to a weekly post, however).

Where do we go from here? A side effect of this writing-a-blog thing has been that now I am inspired to gather it all into book form (which I have actually accomplished). I am hoping to get a literary agent and sell my book!

I have a small favor to ask you (no, not to buy my book—it doesn’t actually exist yet anyway): if you like my blog, could you please tell everyone you know about it? Okay, maybe not your mailman or your 3rd grader’s music teacher, but everyone else? You know, maybe “like” my blog on your Facebook page or forward my link to your entire virtual address book? Something like that?

I would love to get my follower count up to a really big number, like infinity plus one (the number my first-grader likes to say when asked how much I love him).  

Thank you for reading my blog, loyal readers!  I hope you have enjoyed a laugh or two along the way. 

Best,

MOV   :)

11 comments:

  1. LPAWOFBP (formally, Mearow)March 4, 2011 at 1:13 AM

    Leaving note for mailman now...I'd do that Facebook thing but I'm just not good with computery things.

    LPAWOFBP (last person alive without facebook page)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im new here, and I love reading your blog, and I have a facebook page, but I have NO idea how to like your blog on my facebook?? I am fairly computer literate, at least more than some, but I have no idea how to like you on my facebook. Any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I could totally see the music teacher at TJ reading and loving your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have a fb page for your blog? If not, it is oh, so easy to create one. If I can create one for my blog (and I don't even have as many followers as you do), you can do it. Just go to the home page where you log in and click on the 'create a page for a business,' or whatever that link says. Then you can create it and then link it up over to here so that people can 'like' your page.
    I love your blog! You are hilarious. I found you from some of your comments on Pdub's page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've mentioned you a few times on my own blog! and i'm quite happy you'll be slowing production a bit - I can't keep up with writing my own stuff and reading yours every day! and i may follow in your footsteps someday with a book of the Important Mommy Posts.
    in shameless-self-promoting frogship,
    m

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you everyone, I totally appreciate your good comments. :)
    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been a "reluctant" follower! I cannot wait for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just discovered your blog, and enjoy it! I have 2 boys, now grown, so I can relate. I'm new at blogging too...so am trying to expand my readership as well. I've added you to my "blogs I like" gadget on my blog. You might enjoy my blog as well.

    http://adventuresintheballpark.blogspot.com

    Maybe you'll add me to your blog list? :-)
    love, mare

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mare,
    Thank you for your kind words and for adding my link to your blog! that was very sweet of you. I hope you have time to read some of my older posts, I think you will get a laugh out of them.
    I have clicked on to be a follower for your blog as well! Have a great day. :)
    Best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you MOV! I have been looking at your older posts, I'd like to catch up on them. :-) Isn't writing great? It's a real outlet for me. I pray we are both successful!
    m

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)