MOVarazzi

Friday, February 11, 2011

327. Snapshots of Me

My life, if viewed by a stranger, has what you might call (if you were being generous) a certain “sloppiness” factor to it. It wasn’t always this way.

Seven years ago, if you happened to drop by my house unexpectedly, I would most likely have fresh ciabatta bread and some lovely Brie to share with you, and a choice of (chilled) wines, which I would offer to you in a clean glass. You could sit on my (unstained, no-action-figures-lurking-beneath-the-cushions) couch and look out the (fingerprint-free) windows and enjoy the view of the freshly manicured (and not marred by oversized Crayola-colored plastic riding toys) yard. Ah, yes. I remember those days.

(The wine is still here, of course. We find it much cheaper to buy it by the case now.)

We could have a long (uninterrupted by crying/screaming/incessant pestering) conversation and actually find out a thing or two about each other, and what is going on in our respective lives. We would laugh, and we’d never once utter phrases like “potty accident” or “hopefully not lice again” or “fine motor skills” or “bites other children.” No. We would instead invoke such words as “vacation” and “Italy” and “boat” and “expensive shoes.”

You might tell me that my hair looked nice, and I might actually agree. Now if you told me my hair looked nice, I’d know you were lying.

If you looked in my (tiny) purse, you’d find lipstick and my wallet (with money inside!), and maybe movie tickets to a movie that my husband and I just saw the previous night. There would be no crackers, Bank of America lollipops, Pokemon cards, stray LEGO pieces, small rocks, dried-out markers, nor silly bands.

My standards (if you can even call them that anymore) have slipped. If you have ever heard the phrase “She let herself go,” rest assured, they are referring to me.

I didn’t mean to “let myself go” or let my house go or let my yard go or let my job go (Goodbye, United Airlines! I miss those trips to New Zealand!); everything just sort of let go for me. It was never a conscious decision.

First, with a newborn, sleep seemed more important than, say, doing laundry. The laundry will still be there in two hours, I’d rationalize, and I’m exhausted.  (I'd hallucinate about laundry from time to time, thinking I'd already washed that load and folded it, only to find there was triple what I'd thought waiting for me.)

When I finally figured out how to put away all the Target purchases the same week I bought them (this was a huge improvement from just leaving the shampoo and kitty litter in bags next to the front door indefinitely), the second baby arrived. I look back on those several sleep-deprived months of having a (not-yet-potty-trained) toddler and a newborn, and really—it’s just a blur. How did I do it?  This from a girl who NEEDS seven straight hours of sleep every night to be a coherent, functioning human being. 

Today, if people come over, they see a different MOV, a more relaxed “sloppy” version. The bed is not made. There are dishes in the sink. Little piles of chaos (homework, toys, books, abandoned shoes) litter the landscape of every room.

And you know what? It’s okay. I don’t have to be perfect. (Queen Virgo has just stomped out the front door, disgusted.)

Oh, sure, I’d like to be perfect. I flip through the photo albums and I see a thousand pictures of my sons, smiling, laughing, growing, playing. There are about five photos of me. Why? Because I’m always afraid (rightly so) that I look like a mess. My hair is pulled back (yet again) into a ponytail and tucked under baseball hat, my outfit is wrinkled and hopelessly out-of-date, my shoes are worn. “Don’t take my picture!” I hear myself say to The Husband, over again. I don’t want to remember myself looking that way.

What do my sons remember? Will they remember the mess? That mommy looked fat that day? Or will they remember how much I loved them?

MOV
(“Memories Of Virgo-ness”)

9 comments:

  1. You just described my life!! (except the wine, I prefer chocolate stout) And, I will say this... these luncheons that I am having with my son every week... he doesn't care that sometimes I wear sweats; just that I am there. Hugs to you and your babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Little piles of chaos" - that just about sums it up for me too. Though, the piles are starting to disappear now that my boy is getting closer to leaving the nest. Now if I could just get my husband in line. Oh, and I'm rarely seen in our photo albums... I'm the one taking all the pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Le'Ann--so glad I am not the only "ghost" in the photo album... I can hear the future girlfriends or daughter-in-laws saying to my sons, "Did your mother live with you when you were growing up? because there are no photos of her..."
    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Tall and Short will remember are all the wonderful things you planned for them, the outings, the birthday parties. They will remember your creative side and the way you made their home a special place. And. . .they will appreciate that you were strict and always expected the best of them. But, most of all they will remember how much you loved them. Happy Valentine's Day, MOV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, what a nice valentine, dear Hobbes and Hobbes's owner. :)
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how, but I just happened to come across this blog, and it must have been God's Valentine present for me. Thanks for making me laugh. Your description of yourself is similar to me, except I have 4 children (I say 5 because my husband is way more work than my children) and I used to be a teacher. On more than one occasion, I have said I love to write things to make people laugh, or not make myself cry. Your description of your purse made me LOL, especially since my bank IS Bank of America!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovestolaugh--thank you for your nice comments! I don't think anyone ever referred to my writing as "God's Valentine's present" before-- you just made my day. :)
    Now the pressure is on to keep writing funny.
    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seem to have skipped my fresh ciabatta / flights to New Zealand phase and gone directly to cat-litter-by-the-door. I can only hope I'm doing it backward.

    ReplyDelete
  9. obviously you are doing it backwards. just try not to do it in circles. (cat litter/ new zealand/ brings home new cat from new zealand/ cat litter/ cat runs away/ continues to buy litter in case cat returns)

    ha!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)