MOVarazzi

Monday, January 31, 2011

315. I'll Thank You Twice or Not at All

I’ve reached that age, the age where I sometimes forget trivial details, details like what I had for breakfast three days ago or when I last put gas in the car. It’s as if my brain is saying, “Full! I still know your childhood phone number and ex-boyfriend-from-college’s mom’s name, so don’t expect me to remember if you washed Tall’s soccer uniform!”

I was alerted to this new lapsing in memory power by my dear friend Penelope in California, who sent the following email:

“Dear MOV,

It was great to see you over Christmas when you were out visiting your mom. I wish we were able to spend more time together.

By the way, I just received your (second) nice note thanking me for dinner.

You’re welcome. You’re welcome.

X o X o

Penelope”

At least she has the sense of humor to say “You’re welcome” twice as well. The funny thing is, as I was writing the second thank you note, I was agonizing (“Did I already write this note? If so, did I actually put a stamp on and mail it?”). In the end, I decide that two thank you notes were better than zero. But, I did try to disguise the state of my brain (Swiss cheese) by wording the second note in what I thought was a clever way. I wrote,

“Dear Penelope,

How are you? I just wanted to reiterate what a great time I had seeing you over Christmas! I know I thanked you in person for the wonderful dinner you made, but I wanted to again take this opportunity to mention it again.

I look forward to the next time I get to see you!

Thanks again!

MOV”

Because she exposed me for what I am (uh, forgetful), I decide to immediately adopt a new system to keep track of gifts and thank you notes written. I go out to a cute local stationery store and buy a lovely green notebook with colorful butterflies and bumble bees embossed on the front. As soon as I get in the car, I open it up and write down “Penelope, dinner, thank you sent (twice).” I come home and put the notebook in a very safe place so I will always be able to record my gifts.

If I could only remember where I put the notebook.

MOV
("Missing Or Vanished"?)

2 comments:

  1. People always talk about purchasing Christmas gifts all year long to avoid stress and high prices. I think it's a great idea, but I will never be able to remember where I've hidden them when the time comes for wrapping. Just the other day, I opened a drawer hidden away and found a present that was meant to be shipped two months ago. I'm only 28!! Am I really THAT old that I can't remember the important things in life?! It's really started to worry me, and I've downloaded a few brain games on my iPod to try to get "me" back. I wish I could remember my ex-boyfriend's mother's name...

    Sure enjoy reading your blog. As long as I remember to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Captain Micah! and I enjoyed your comment ... wait, what were we talking about again?
    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)