MOVarazzi

Thursday, August 19, 2010

101. Kendra Twin

So I have this friend/ neighbor Kendra. Well, actually, if you must know, she is a very nice person and seems like she could be a friend if we had a chance to get to know each other better……. but right now we are probably more like “acquaintances”. We honestly don’t know that much about each other, but I do know her a little, so maybe half a step up from acquaintances? What are we: frecquaintances? Acqfriends? Neighbor friends? Freighbors? We need a new word for this relationship.

Anyway, back to the story. She and I both have kids the same ages, and in fact, her son’s in the same class as Tall. They are buddies, they have playdates. I see Kendra, by default, a lot, but never really get much of a chance to talk to her.

Herein lies the problem. I know her, but I don’t really know her.

Kendra has a twin. Not a “true” twin, as in identical twin from the same mom, just a random person who must live in town and who looks frickin’ exactly like Kendra. (Yes, just in case, I have even verified with the Real Kendra that she does not, in fact, have a twin.) Yikes!

I see this Kendra Twin Person everywhere. I’m always eager to let my freighbors know what a nice person I am, that any rumors of me being nice, or even exceptionally nice, are absolutely true. I want to be Social and Friendly and Approachable and not seem like I am ignoring someone even if I am distracted. I always get ready to wave to Kendra Twin because of course I think that it is Kendra. “Kendra!” I start to shout out, like an idiot, my hand partially in the air, “Kend---oh. Oh, it’s not who I first thought it was so….. nevermind.”

This happens a lot more than you might think. It is getting to the alarming and disturbing point where Kendra Twin could potentially think I was semi-stalking her. Which I am not.

Should I maybe try to make friends with Kendra Twin? Hmmm, is that, uh, weird? Because I do see her quite often, maybe even more often than the Real Kendra. We obviously like to go the same places, we're in the same Crazy Town orbit.

Look, there’s Kendra Twin at the grocery store! Now there she is at Target! Kendra Twin at the gas-station! Indeed, it’s Kendra Twin at Starbucks (maybe Kendra Twin is stalking ME, come to think of it)! She is everywhere!

When I say they are twins, Kendra and Her Imposter, I am not exaggerating. They both have the same petite build, the same red hair cut in the same chic bob, the same big green eyes, the same wholesome smile, the same bone structure, the same style of clothes, the same mannerisms. (I met the Real Kendra’s real sister one time, and guess who looks more like Kendra? that’s right—Kendra Twin.)

I stare at Kendra Twin. Is it her? Which one is it? I don’t know! Tall even gets in on the act—“Mommy, shouldn’t you say hi to Paul’s mom?” Well, yeah, duh, if I knew that it WAS Paul’s mom.

Flash forward to this morning. I am at the library dropping off (overdue again) books. A gorgeous petite red-head comes over to me. “MOV? MOV, is that you?! How are you? I’m sorry, I wasn’t sure if it was you at first….. I thought maybe you were ignoring me,” and then Kendra gives me a warm smile and leans in for a hug. (Maybe Kendra has graduated from freighbor to actual friend now.)

MOV
(“Mistaken Overlooked Variations”)

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, confusing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously! and the other day, they were both in front of my older son's school outside, mere feet from each other. I thought my brain would explode!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)