MOVarazzi

Saturday, July 10, 2010

42. Contractor-Speak

Maybe you have been thinking about adding that second bathroom or renovating your kitchen, but you're intimidated at the thought of dealing with contractors who use their confusing "construction words."  Words like geodesic, globe valve, yoke vent, caisson, or door. I have come up with a handy guide for your use to simplify your interactions with your contractor.  Feel free to print it out and use it as a reference, maybe even laminate it (just a suggestion).
  • What Contractor SAYS......What he Means
  • Monday................................Wednesday
  • "Sure"..................................No way
  • Inexpensive........................Expensive
  • "I'll call you"........................I won't
  • Next Thursday...................Never
  • The tile store was closed....I was playing golf
  • 8AM...................................... noon-ish
  • out to lunch..........................might be back tomorrow
  • almost done.........................not even close
Now, to be fair, communication is a two-way street and the average home-owner is not always clear. So, here is a chart for the Contractor to refer to so that everyone can understand each other.
  • What Home-Owner says.....What He/She Means
  • There's a tiny problem with the tile......You're gonna have to rip the whole thing out
  • I'm not really very happy.......I'm livid
  • My husband doesn't like it...... I don't like it
  • Can you finish by tomorrow?....Could you have finished by yesterday?
  • We're having people over.........I want you gone
Crystal clear communication goes a long way toward achieving the desired results. Good luck on your project!

MOV
("Millwork Oakum Vermiculite")

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)